Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skull and crossbones insignia

Article about: Did only the SS use the skull and crossbones insignia on their uniform lapels? I saw a photograph supposedly showing regular army troops, but they had skulls on their lapels. Thanks in advan

?

Default Skull and crossbones insignia

Did only the SS use the skull and crossbones insignia on their uniform lapels? I saw a photograph supposedly showing regular army troops, but they had skulls on their lapels. Thanks in advance for the insight.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Skull and crossbones insignia
    P
    Many

Hello, Regular Wehrmacht Panzer/Stuf?assault gun crews also had skulls (totenkopf) on the lapels of there wrapper jackets.

I believe though stand to be corrected that it was only within the SS as a whole the ' Totenkopf ' division who wore Skulls on their lapels. Therefore far more regular Wehrmacht and Herman Goring Div armoured troops wore the deaths head on their lapels than did SS troops.

?

Thank you for the quick response Robin. I'm reading a book titled "Panzer Leader" by Otto Henning. In the text he expresses not wanting to be part of an SS unit, but in the photos of him during the war he has the insignia on his lapels.

That would fit in with a Wehrmacht Panzer crewman. Many Wehrmacht Panzercrew members were when captured mistaken for SS because of their black uniforms and totenkopf insignia some being subsequently executed in the belief they were SS men

No SS connection. Otto Henning served in the Heer [Army]; as a tanker, he wore the armor troops' black field uniform with death's head collar patches.

?

I was not aware of that. Thank you all for the insight.

?

I suppose this truly is an international forum with the US, Scotland and Germany represented.

Photo from the web site Panzer World. This shows the collar insignia of a Heer Panzer member to good effect. NH

Here is one of my father, also displaying one on the visor.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Here is one of my father, also displaying one on the visor.
    Ralph.

That's an Amazing Photo, Ralph! I don't think I've ever seen the skull on a WH Tanker's Cap before this, omitting the Cockade ...Very Cool, thanks for sharing, Friend...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast