Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation of Name

Article about: Guys, Any help translating this name. Looks like he was an Oberst but the pants have a red stripe so I think that is generals rank (so maybe a General Oberst?) Munich tailor dated 1936 Thank

MAP
    ?

Default Translation of Name

Guys,

Any help translating this name.

Looks like he was an Oberst but the pants have a red stripe so I think that is generals rank (so maybe a General Oberst?)

Munich tailor dated 1936

Thanks!

Translation of Name

Translation of Name
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Translation of Name
    P
    Many

?

Raumann?

?

Do the stripes appear contemporary to original manufacture, or a later modification?
    It may be that he held the rank of Oberst when he bought the trousers, then having the Generals stripes added following later promotion...
    The stripes appear to overlap the cuff lacing eyelets a little.

As for his name, I can’t do better than TrondK...

Nice find,
    Bob

It's definitely "[...]aumann", and there are a number of such names in German (like Baumann, Haumann, Laumann, Naumann, Raumann and Taumann) but that first letter looks really weird. I think Trond's suggestion "Raumann" is the most likely one.

As for the rank: Nobody would deliberately refer to a Generaloberst as Oberst. "General", yes; as that was also the verbal form of address for all four general officer ranks, but not "Oberst".
    Of course, there is the possibility of some communication error (say, between the tailor shops' owner who took the order and the tailor who executed it), but on the other hand, any uniform tailor would know that bright red Lampassen couldn't possibly be worn by a colonel; so that explanation is not entirely satisfactory, either.

I, too, tend towards the explanation that the Lampassen were simply added later, upon the Oberst's promotion to Generalmajor. (Or, worst case, post-war to increase value.)

MAP
    ?

Thanks to everyone

These are not mine, they belong to a friend. So can't tell if they were added. I will ask him to check if the stripe appear to be added.

Now that we have a strong indication of the name, he can begin some research and try to ID the general.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)