Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446

Article about: Hello all, I would appreciate any opinions on this apparently fine uniform grouping to a Major Hans Mayr, recipient of the Deutsches Kreuz im Silber, of Panzer-Nachrichten-Abteilung 446, XXX

?

Default Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446

Hello all,

I would appreciate any opinions on this apparently fine uniform grouping to a Major Hans Mayr, recipient of the Deutsches Kreuz im Silber, of Panzer-Nachrichten-Abteilung 446, XXXXVI Panzerkorps. The M37 tunic is advertised as having the breast eagle and kragenspiegel restored with period originals; major's shoulder boards original to the tunic. The man's awards (DKiS, EK1 etc.) are not present. Trousers with lemon-yellow signals piping appear untouched but for one obviously replaced button. Labels on both tunic and trousers to 'Hptmn [earlier rank obviously] Mayr'. Both are grouped together with an officer's cap I have posted separately in the Cap Authentication Forum. I have included the belt it is grouped with here, but there's probably not much to say on that front, as it is completely unmarked, and appears to be a simple generic two-prong black affair. I've also included a shot of two mystery items included with the group at the end; they appear to be shoulder pads, but there are no corresponding hooks in the shoulders to attach them...

First two photos are standard advertised, the rest are more detailed shots (click to zoom).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446
    P
    Many

Because it is a piped service uniform, it should have been restored with dress insignia instead of field uniform quality. Below is my Panzer example for reference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446   Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446  

Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446   Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446  

?

Thanks Nick. Does that refer to the collar tabs only, or to the breast-eagle and shoulder-boards as well?

Breast eagle is fine as is, but normally the piped field service tunic should have the shiny dress boards, not the subdued boards, currently on that tunic, though the seller seems to be saying the boards are original to the tunic. Anyway the collar tabs are incorrectly restored.

TWS
    ?

+1 to what Nick posted.

The collar tabs and shoulder boards would be considered incorrect for this type of tunic.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by TWS View Post
    +1 to what Nick posted.

The collar tabs and shoulder boards would be considered incorrect for this type of tunic.
    TWS - I get the collar tabs, but what difference would there be in the shoulder-boards? Just 'shinier' material for want of a better word? Or of a totally different type? Should they have unit cyphers attached?

TWS
    ?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    TWS - I get the collar tabs, but what difference would there be in the shoulder-boards? Just 'shinier' material for want of a better word? Or of a totally different type? Should they have unit cyphers attached?
    I walked into the war room and quickly snapped this with my phone to show collar tabs and shoulder boards all in one shot. It's a piped walking-out I have currently on display. Yes, the proper material would be bright and shiny - glänzend in German. Not matt or subdued as for a field or service tunic.

Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Dress insignia and field insignia are distinctly different in material and construction. Shown below, the top one is a field uniform shoulder board and bottom 2 are dress.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping, to a Major of Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 446  

?

Thank you friends, that explains it perfectly. I was under the impression that the shoulder-boards on this one were rather shiny, but the comparison shot above really shows they're not. Learn something new every day!