Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrwolf skull for review

Article about: Hello, I'm not sure if this Wehrwolf button is good. Some guys told me its fake some said its real but I'm not entirely sure on it. All replies are welcomed and very helpful.

Default Wehrwolf skull for review

Hello, I'm not sure if this Wehrwolf button is good. Some guys told me its fake some said its real but I'm not entirely sure on it. All replies are welcomed and very helpful.

Wehrwolf skull for review Wehrwolf skull for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrwolf skull for review
    P
    Many

?

It is my opinion that it is cast copy of an original design. You can clearly see the cast residue bumps on the front where I circled. The back is even more revealing. These buttons are supposed to be multi piece construction. You can see by the blue arrow and red arrow a so called seam that makes no sense. The rest of the button circled in red ovals is solid. What happened to the seam? The center piece loop should also be a separate part. I've included several pictures of authentic buttons and you clearly see the difference in construction and wear. I've also not seen examples of this button with markings. Those extra fein markings are present on many TR buttons but not on these to my knowledge. Any small item can be copied by making a mold but the devil is in the details.

I know you got the nod on the red forum but here we strive to give you information rather than a one word answer. The idea is for you to learn and grow as a collector. I'm always willing to admit I'm wrong but I would save my money.

Welcome to the minefield that is TR collecting

Wehrwolf skull for reviewWehrwolf skull for review

Credit: Bigmacglenn

Credit: snoman

Even my SS buttons have this multi piece construction

Regards, Al

Thanks Al after closer inspection i have came to the conclusion that it was fake after looking at other examples, but this further solidified my concerns. I'll keep searching though! these have been on my "want" list for a number of years and hopefully I'll stumble across one sooner or later.

?

Hopefully someone who owns one of these nice buttons will chime in or post another photo as reference.
    Regards, Al

?

Here is another one. Note that even with a lot of corrosion the untouched parts of the front are smooth, no odd bumps.

Credit; Epic
    Regards, Al

Looks good I notice the materials different on the fake button as well, really great learning material but I assume these buttons are crazy rare as I have not found many in years if searching that weren’t sold.

?

Me either. I only came across that last one I posted from Epic over a year ago. I didn’t buy it because it was too corroded for the price.
    Regards, Al

?

Here is a Victorian era British Lancers button with a similar look on the reverse. This was actually listed as a Wehrwolf button on the website when I bought it.

Regards, Al

Yeah I saw that one up for sale to still a nice one even if it’s not wehrwolf.