Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Who’da thunk it?

Article about: Just picked up a large collection of German insignia (which I shall be showing in due course), which includes this remarkable piece! An unfortunately single Schulterklappe for 29th Pioneer B

?

Default Who’da thunk it?

Just picked up a large collection of German insignia (which I shall be showing in due course), which includes this remarkable piece!

An unfortunately single Schulterklappe for 29th Pioneer Bataillon, which has suffered from (possibly) the worst ‘upgrade’ from Pioneer to Unteroffizier (assuming the bottom edge would have been covered by the shoulder headseam of the tunic), though there appears to have been something sewn beneath the numerals, evidenced by the remaining threads.

I wouldn’t normally buy singles, but had to have this - one of the items I shall definitely be keeping! It’s amazing how such a crudely executed job was considered acceptable for service.
    Certainly the worst job I’ve ever seen.. Unless you know better!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who’da thunk it?   Who’da thunk it?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Who’da thunk it?
    P
    Many

Whoever sewed that must have been totally drunk. Hard to imagine that something like this was ever worn by a German soldier.

?

The entire collection was from a veteran’s souvenirs, sold by the family (who have no interest in the stuff), so some poor pioneer was wearing this!

I think sometimes we forget the human element of the things we collect. Yes it looks like hell, but I can imagine a 19 year old unteroffizier who has been on the front for more than a year not really giving a damn haha.