Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia

Article about: A few weeks ago I encountered a seller at my local flea market with several boxes of supposed WW2 German items. Many were classic fantasy fakes while others were more convincing. Once I spot

Default WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia

A few weeks ago I encountered a seller at my local flea market with several boxes of supposed WW2 German items. Many were classic fantasy fakes while others were more convincing. Once I spot a fake in a group I proceed cautiously, but often times the good is mixed in with the bad. I was the first at the table, and over cover of darkness (it was 5:30 AM) I worked feverously with a flashlight clinched between my teeth; not the best way to make calm, rational, informed choices! While I was digging the seller kept putting more out and a small crowd began to develop. I saw him put two Early War US M1903 "Scant" stocks on the table and I had to move quickly as I knew those were what they appeared to be!

One box containing small items was filled with a mix of patches and badges, many of which were clearly fantasy. Limp cuff titles, sad SS "Tuxedo" badges and paper-thin screwback Iron Crosses, even a pair of old fantasy SS pith helmet shields for good measure. Digging deeper I began to find other pieces that seemed viable. Before moving over to the rifle stocks I managed to grab a half dozen "interesting" specimens and this Luftwaffe patch was one of them (I will be posting several others here too).

The patch appears to be a standard BeVo style insignia and is very close in construction to a Waffen-SS Tropical Sleeve Eagle insignia I have in my collection. The thread attachment on the backside is close to original examples and the dimensions of the Luftwaffe Eagle mimic those of the Tropical Eagle. Details appear to be strong and also consistent with other genuine specimens. The only similar, verified example I could find was here (BeVo-Breast eagle: Luftwaffe and Panzer), and the details seem to line up with mine. The material does not react under exposure to UV light.

If genuine, which Luftwaffe uniforms were these blue BeVo Eagles used on?

Like all other inquiries, I really would appreciate the experienced eyes of the forum to take a look at this patch and share any criticisms, opinions and thoughts you might have about it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia   WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia  

WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia   WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia  

WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia   WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia  

Last edited by komet45; 05-09-2024 at 01:39 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia
    P
    Many

Luftwaffe eagle looks good to me, (I can't speak for the SS eagle, not my comfort zone).

The fakes have quite a humped back to them, so fairly easy to spot if you know what you are looking for.

These eagles were basically another form of breast eagle, here is one from my collection...

Cheers

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia   WW2 Luftwaffe Blue BeVo Breast Eagle Insignia  

Spot on Bob, thank you for the vote of confidence on this Adler! The details are what kept me hopeful as they are fine. I very much appreciate the uniform examples you included too, seeing it "in service" always makes the difference for me.

Bob nailed it! , A good badge, not the usual humpback fake we normally see ,Regards Paul