Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?

Article about: I saw this dagger and would like to get some of your expert opinions on this panzer embellished portapee. Firs off, has anyone ever seen or heard of these before? I'm sure someone could have

?

Default Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?

I saw this dagger and would like to get some of your expert opinions on this panzer embellished portapee. Firs off, has anyone ever seen or heard of these before? I'm sure someone could have easily had this death head added to the portapee during the war or postwar for that matter. The seller says it was jeweler made and not just some death head glued on which is clearly not the case. I'm new here so it could easily be a batch of these known fakes floating around and everyone knows about them but me, so please give me your expert opinions on this as well as if the Wingen dagger is correct. Here is the write up on the dagger:

seldom seen Panzer affiliated Army Officers dagger with a JEWELER made nickel silver Panzer skull penned through the pommel cap...NOT glued..! I think its important to focus on the skull for a minute...as it makes this dagger. The skull as mentioned is jeweler made and is not a panzer collar tab....totally different. Its much higher in profile and has a completely different look about it.. It has been on this dagger and was period pre-1945 applied.. The prongs of this skull are MUCH longer than a standard collar tab skull.....going all the way through the top of pommel and seated through period drilled holes on the inside perimeter of the pommel cap .! The skull is also slightly larger than a collar tab skull and as mentioned is different in look as to eyes/nose etc... ****The skull literally appears to be growing from the top of pommel being firmly sucked to its top. **** I have seen only a few of these in other collections .... The Panzer arm was very proud of there service and pomp....and obviously this Officer wanted his Army dagger to stand out from the norm. It does..!! The maker is Anton Wingen being their last style produced .....however with a distinctive guard /pommel however using the "generic" style scabbard with single flush mounted reverse screw.... ****** If you have Wittmann's Army dagger book you can see this exact version being a nickel plated hilt with 100% plating and a steal based nickel plated scabbard with a small area of worn plating from swing wear... No dents to scabbard...being as mentioned the generic A style used by this maker late period. The off white grip is solid celluloid with no chips or cracks etc.... Large style buffer pad intact..... Blade is bright with no nicks and never sharpened with a needle like point but does have some light surface age here and there but is smooth and is actually hard to see as over all its bright showing a fair amount of cross graining....blade rates Ex/Ex + Over all a killer dagger and NO question carried by a Panzer Officer during the period showing off the old Hussar tradition..! If you have any questions fire away....more pics upon request....****** If you have a Panzer wrap you want to dress up with this rig its a must have..!! NOTE....the last one of these skull adorned armies I saw was presented to a panzer Officer in the GD/Gross Deutschland Div....could be from the same unit....

Here are some pix. I just can't seem to get them right but i hope it gives you an idea:

Attached Images Attached Images Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?
    P
    Many

?

I am sorry. I cannot get the other pix to come up and i've been fooling around with this for an hour. Even with out the pix of the dagger, you can see the top of the portapee and underneath of it to see how the death head is attached. Please help me out and don't bad mouth me as i am not that computer savvy I am hear to learn and i have searched this forum and there is nothing like this that i can find so please refrain from telling me to do my research. I am reaching out for your expert help. Thank you for your graciousness and thank you in advance for your expert opinions. ElSyd
    Maybe i will have better luck tomorrow posting the remainder of the pix! Have a good evening

The following thread has some very good images and explanations on how to upload your photos.
    Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Mr Syd....could you also post photos of the dagger itself?

2 Questions : Is the embellishment on the pommel or portapee?

Do you know the difference between the 2 because Im seeing a skull on top of a pommel.

Please clarify
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry - it is on top of the pommel. I always thought the portapee was the rope thing with the knot, but the more i read, it doesn't sound like that is the case!

Ralph - thanks for the link to the visual tutorial on uploading pictures. I was close, but no cigar.

thanks to you both. I will upload some pix later on today or this evening. ElSyd

Hi Syd ....the portepee is the knot ...your post was confusing when you used both portepee and pommel ...it appears its a pommel embellishment.

The dagger was not produced that way nor was it offered as an extra feature ...and may have been done personally during the period or post war.

Close up photos of the inside of the pommel and around the outside of the pommel looking at the pommel from the side as well please

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I can't post any full size pix because the original pix were taken / posted very small as you can see above. the death head is the only large pic i I can get so I can't expect to get much help when you have nothing to go on. Thanks for your interest in helping me and for the tutorial on uploading pictures. I just don't know up to upscale these pics.
    Thanks again, ElSyd.

?

Well I can add some information regarding the skull which is not a standard Panzer collar skull but rather an early Panzer Traditions skull. The Panzer tradition skull is smaller than it's counterpart and resembles the early "Danziger" jawless skull in appearance. These small tradition skulls do have longer prongs and were used in a variety of unconventional ways. So although I know nothing about daggers, I can say that if this is purported to belong to a panzer personnel then this is very believable as a period applied piece.

Credit: Johannis
    Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?

Credit: Sid

Credit: John4022

Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?Death Head Panzer Portapee on Anton Wingen Dagger Help PLEASE?

Credit: Robin Lumsden

Credit: Aldo
    Regards, Al

Good stuff Aldo

Heres the issue ...there are no other photos that can be posted from Syd...and Heer collectors know that the tops of Heer dagger pommels are not flat but are raised to a blunt point in the center ( any thread here will show that detail )

I can assume..this was added from what Also has posted above of that round cylindrical fitting.

@Aldo...what is that cylindrical fitting used for ? ..its not for Heer daggers that much the community knows.

More photos would help...but with these photos...only less info can be given

Regards Larry

Gerrits going to come in and jump all over this

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast