Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer dagger preservation

Article about: Hello, I just purchased my first heer dagger and looking for advice on how to preserve it, as the blade already has slight surface rust.

?

Default Heer dagger preservation

Hello, I just purchased my first heer dagger and looking for advice on how to preserve it, as the blade already has slight surface rust.
    Cheers, Justin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer dagger preservation
    P
    Many

Hello Justin...and welcome

do you have a few photos to post of your dagger and the areas of concern on the blade ?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hello Larry,
    thanks for your welcome and reply! please see attached pics

Heer dagger preservationHeer dagger preservationHeer dagger preservationHeer dagger preservation
    Cheers, Justin

Hello Justin thankyou for the photo ...I would say what is common with the forums Heer collectors ..is to unscrew the pommel ( if possible ) and soak the blade in WD40 for a few days. It usually lifts off that rust.

Gerrit or Danny will be along shorlty as well to advise you further.

Is there a producer logo on the reverse side of the blade ?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Wise advice on the pommel as I've seen some glued on pommels/grips that became disasters when they were taken apart. And if I may, I would like to add a few cautions. A could of labeled small pieces of masking tape could help in correctly reassembling the dagger. And be careful when tightening the pommel, as many chipped grips are the result of previous postwar owners handling of the daggers. Best Regards, Fred

?

Heer dagger preservation Hello Larry, thanks for the help! here is a photo of the makers mark
    Cheers, Justin

It looks like it would clean up nicely! Just don't try to rush things. Over cleaning can wipe away a lot of the "Eye Candy" appeal and actually damage the finish if done using the wrong cleaners. It also will in most cases damage the value as well.

Regards, Geoff

?

thank you Geoff,
    I have stripped the dagger down to the blade and have it soaking in WD40 as per Larry' advice.
    i really appreciate the help, this is my first Dagger and don't want to damage it.
    Cheers, Justin

?

hello Larry, I have had the blade submerged in WD-40 for three days now and have seen minor results, should I continue leaving it there or try something different
    Cheers, Justin

?

I would advise you to put some WD40 on the blade, put it back in the scabbard and check again in a month, not 3 days. Wipe the dagger clean with a soft cloth after a month or so. If you see black or brown residue on the cloth, it's working. You can repeat this procedure a few times if necessary.

Regards
    Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast