Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Heer hanger question

Article about: Hello. This is a latewar wkc. My Question are, is the hanger correct to the dagger? Best regards

Default Heer hanger question

Hello. This is a latewar wkc. My Question are, is the hanger correct to the dagger? Best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer hanger question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer hanger question
    P
    Many

Hi Bj..the hanger is original and is the early period type 1935 - 36

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Ok. Is this the right type of hanger ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer hanger question  

Yes exactly...this one is considered the " Box type " among some collectors as the top hanger resembles a box like construction.
    Nothing fancy and quick to produce.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Easiest way to determan if a hanger is early or later type is to look at the bottom clips, if they have a rounded shape they are early, if they have a rectangular shape they are the later type.
    The earlier ones come in a large variety of brass or aluminium.
    The later ones are made of zinkguss - pottmetal

Ger
    here a couple of early hangers
    Heer hanger question
    Last edited by gerrit; 05-01-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Hello. Thanks for fast respond. I passed the Question to Another gentleman and did get this answer: "With regard to your hangers. I have to disagree about ‘early and later’ types. Whist very early in the 1930’s there is evidence that some hanger clips etc were made of brass etc rather than the grey, pot metal alloy they ended up with. The ability to PAY more, decided upon your choice of hangers. It was a competitive market with many different factories vying for your custom. A slightly different hanger, with better or different clips, looked better and probably cost more.

The very basic hangers with just ordinary plain bottom clips and a simple thin box fitting at the top, were always available. You paid your money and took your choice.

There is no reason at all why if you owned your dagger then, you could not spend your money at a uniform outfitters, and get a ‘fancy’ set of hangers. Daggers can sometimes be dated by their style and the manufacturers marks, but hangers not so. They were available and produced in different styles right through the Third Reich period. "

Quote by Bjoerndacke View Post
    Hello. Thanks for fast respond. I passed the Question to Another gentleman and did get this answer: "With regard to your hangers. I have to disagree about ‘early and later’ types. Whist very early in the 1930’s there is evidence that some hanger clips etc were made of brass etc rather than the grey, pot metal alloy they ended up with. The ability to PAY more, decided upon your choice of hangers. It was a competitive market with many different factories vying for your custom. A slightly different hanger, with better or different clips, looked better and probably cost more.

The very basic hangers with just ordinary plain bottom clips and a simple thin box fitting at the top, were always available. You paid your money and took your choice.

There is no reason at all why if you owned your dagger then, you could not spend your money at a uniform outfitters, and get a ‘fancy’ set of hangers. Daggers can sometimes be dated by their style and the manufacturers marks, but hangers not so. They were available and produced in different styles right through the Third Reich period."
    While I think that there could be some element of truth in the quotation that the choices could rely on price and the available selection - I also think that the source whomever it is, was very likely misleading (I am NOT suggesting that it was intentional). But I don't know what his expertise is/was and will leave it at that. The daggers and hangers were both impacted by the edict that restricted copper and its alloys from use for both daggers and hangers. In other words if it's zinc it's later. And it ignores the fact that civilian new production was effectively shut down sometime in 1942 so that German makers could concentrate on military production. Of course that was not immediate, and preexisting finished items and raw materials were still available until they were exhausted (or put into storage). And still later on, they were not permitted to be worn, with pistols becoming the mandatory sidearm. Best Regards, Fred