Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer opinions please

Article about: Being as I love knives and am an Army vet I have decided to purchase an officer's dagger to begin my collection. I'm looking at quality early to mid war pieces mostly and would much apprecia

?

Default Heer opinions please

I'm looking at quality early to mid war pieces mostly and would much appreciate any and all guidance here. I am familiar with several online resource sites such as wardaggers. I am a newbie though and have a long way to go. I will post up pics of several pieces available to me and thanks in advance for comments on them.

First, an unmarked, personalized piece of which I have had little progress in gaining information on.

Heer opinions pleaseHeer opinions pleaseHeer opinions pleaseHeer opinions pleaseHeer opinions pleaseHeer opinions please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer opinions please  
    Last edited by 11B1V; 03-13-2019 at 06:48 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer opinions please
    P
    Many

?

Well that is an Alcoso type 2 guard, the largest Eagle produced on Heer daggers, its also a very rare one.

Regards
    Ger

?

Thanks very much for your reply Ger. I had considered the Alcoso type 2 but wasn't sure and was leaning more towards the generic "B" but as I stated am new to this. I now see the slight notch in the eagles beak and less brow above the eye. I can see the dagger has the common type B grip as well. I wanted to know if the configuration of the rest of the dagger/scabbard is an acceptable one or not. I have been able, with much effort, to dissect others I'm interested in but not this one. Any more information is greatly appreciated.

?

It also appears to have a 14 leaf pommel

?

This hobby starts well when you invest in knowledge, either by reading a lot on forums like this one or by buying the proper reference books.
    I have a good advice regarding Heer daggers
    Heeresdolche a reference guide, by Ger Hessels & Danny Rieske

In fact i do not see any resemblance in an Alcoso 2 and a Generic B, they are totally different.
    There are 2 Alcoso type 2s shown in the book, page 34-37

Best
    Ger

?

Fantastic looking book! Now if only I can find a copy as I'm a couple years late it seems.....

?

I am concerned about the above scabbard as I can see some swirling in it and the pebbles are not as dense ?

?

The scabbard is an Original, but does not belong to Alcoso, although its build with early parts, its a partsdagger imo.
    Here an Alcoso type 2 for comparison...

If you want our referencebook then i suggest you just PM member DR73 ( Danny) i know he still has a few for sale

Cheers
    Ger

Heer opinions please

?

Thank you so much, I was very suspicious. A shame that such a rare personalized cross guard had to be on a parts dagger. I would imagine that it alone would be quite valuable. I will PM Danny today for a copy of the book.

?

I don't know a lot about engraving's so don't put too much weight on my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the engraving. I say this because I've seen that 'flashy' gothic font used to fake engraving before. People see it, and it looks cool and old and German so it's good at fooling people. I hope someone who knows better says it's good, I really do. But I've seen lots of good engravings with more subtle fonts, and this style on several fakes.

The letters are also very think, I would think it would be hard to engrave that much material out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast