Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Heer dagger

Article about: Hi all, thought I would share the Heer dagger I just acquired. The maker is FW Holler, the crossguard, from the look of it is generic type B? I assume this example is late war, but would wel

Default My Heer dagger

Hi all, thought I would share the Heer dagger I just acquired. The maker is FW Holler, the crossguard, from the look of it is generic type B? I assume this example is late war, but would welcome any corrections. Not the most ostentatious example but I like it. (Would like to to get a portepee. I believe there are differences though. How do I discern an Army example?)

Some of the pictures are tad dark--sorry about that
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Heer dagger   My Heer dagger  

My Heer dagger   My Heer dagger  

My Heer dagger   My Heer dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Heer dagger
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My Heer dagger

Sorry can't advise on the knot but I just love the white grip.. My Heer daggers all have the orange grip. Lovely dagger!!
    Thank you

Thanks! I do like the white grip myself... Would like to get a Luftwaffe dagger with an orange grip someday. I think the two would look pretty nice together.

Was this the one with the 'ding' in the scabbard vs the missing scabbard ring example that you posted earlier ?

This is a very nice one ............................. !
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Was this the one with the 'ding' in the scabbard vs the missing scabbard ring example that you posted earlier ?

This is a very nice one ............................. !
    It is indeed. I think I got a very good deal on it too, though I'm no expert on what the average asking price for this particular maker and condition would be. I got even a little more shaved off of it though.

Would like to find a knot to top it off but having some trouble coming by one.

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    It is indeed. I think I got a very good deal on it too, though I'm no expert on what the average asking price for this particular maker and condition would be. I got even a little more shaved off of it though.

Would like to find a knot to top it off but having some trouble coming by one.
    I would like to find one for my Heer dagger as well ..................... !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I like this one alot! I was lucky mine came with a portepe. I learned how to tie it on from pictures in my books. Wasnt easy. Now that its on, thats where it stays. Regards, Lee

Yep, it does appear to be a "generic B" type crossguard. However the bird's eye differs slightly from what we usually see on a generic B. It's been pollished clearly, and perhaps the pollishing over the years have removed or altered some of the eagles detail.. More often that not, we see a Holler #3.

T

Interesting.. I only guessed Generic B from passing glance, but looking at my example and a reference you're definitely right about the eye. Your speculation about the polishing has to be correct.

Is generic B more common on a Holler than 1st or 2nd Holler type?

Tony-

That's a pretty good guess considering how many various crossguards were available, and we often see some strange configurations that to some degree don't make sense. That's when the daggers get ticky tacky by collectors...2nd patttern Lufts and Heer pattern daggers were like Lego sets. It was really easy to mix and match parts, as wa often the case in Germany for making souvs. for occupation troops, as well as the GIs swapping parts themself to repair their "liberated" war booty.

I think you dagger is absolutely fine and not anything to worry about. Holler, like many other manufacturers, did use crossguards from other manufacturers, etc. But, like I said, when some collectors see a dagger like a Holler, which generally had ample access to "Holler pattern crossguards", they ask the question "why?" a generic.

I have an ASSO pattern Heer I bought some time back. It's got a generic crossguard since ASSO didn't make their own crossguards (I am pretty sure..if someone knows otherwise, please post it for educational purposes). I've got a large digital reference of the various Heer dagger crossguards from the various manufacturers, and there were quite a few different crossguards available at the time- I count 30 different and distinct Heer crossguards, including the generic A and Bs.

Tom