Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques

Article about: These slants Ivory grips are the holy grail for the Slant collectors, i have never seen one before, although i know i european collector who ownes one. Im very happy you shared this one with

The crossguard on this example exhibits extensive hand work its very similar to the top example compare the enhancements you will see they mirror each other nicely. I really like the style of the wreath enhancement as well as the breast and head you can tell this is a Klaas without seeing a maker mark. This scabbard has the larger flat head screws.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques
    P
    Many

Hi Tom, yours Klaas daggers are very nice, I admire handwork - I like this early examples and sometimes I spend several hours in evening with just looking and my daggers My wife start to be very angry So I think you also enjoy looking at your daggers - and especially this early Klaas daggers are impressive! Thanks for very nice detailed photos!

Regards Peter

Peter thank you - I am glad someone appreciates the finer details I am trying to expand my threads beyond just posting pictures but adding information about the intricacies of the daggers.

what do they say..that beauty is only skin deep?..but when you can point out the other details within the beauty...is what makes an artifact stand out. Details are everything in collecting!! Thanks Tom...Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Tom, I too very much appreciate the time you take to post your daggers and discuss the details. I have spent a great deal of time studying your website as well as informative posts on other forums. I still have much to learn and your selfless contributions are a treasure of knowledge.
    Like Peter I love to take out individual daggers and study the details. Since I am a knifemaker and concentrate on fine details in my own work every day, hand enhancement is a joy to see. Though the enhancements are relatively crude by custom knife standards, it is interesting to figure out what tools were used and how the workpieces would have been held during the process. I spend some time in Solingen every year and have seen a number of old workshops, so have developed a feel for the working conditions at the time. When I hold one of these pieces and view them with a loupe, I can see the worker standing at his well worn vice with a leather apron holding a graver, needle file or forming punch applying the decorations I now hold in my hand.

Wolfgang

Larry – Thank you sir!
    Wolfgang - Thank you it’s the collector to collector relationships that keep me going in the hobby. I have always believed these dagger makers dictated certain enhancements to the finisher(s) they wanted preformed. While I am sure some finishers took and were given some artistic liberty I believe many of the producers set forth a blueprint if you will of the basic artistic finished result they wanted. While each piece is unique they follow a basic and similar pattern of enhancement. Look at the early Klaas – Pack – Weyersberg as only a few examples of many. I know you are a very respected knife maker and the enjoyment you must receive studying these daggers.

Default Alcoso Heer - Wappen

When I first started collecting likely I would have passed on this dagger due to its condition. But I was very attracted to this piece. The dagger is reputedly a vet souvenir from Sicily. The allies invaded Sicily in July 1943 of which my father was a participant a member of the 82nd Airborne Division - Company I - 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment. The 3rd battalion of the 504th attached to the 505th launched the first assault wave on Sicily July-9th-1943. The army collectors know this dagger was manufactured in 1935 and would recognize it as an initial production Alcoso slant with the type-1 Alcoso crossguard and first style maker mark. This dagger saw quite a bit of carrying time just think about the history this dagger witnessed being carried 8 years by a proud German officer. It must have belonged to someone very important. The professionally engraved Wappen on the rear of the crossguard is a miniature piece of art and is deserving of a research project. The whole dagger is constructed of a brass base metal even the hanger is brass base and has been permanently sewn to the dagger and been with this dagger for 78 years. The blade has suffered terribly over the years having been sharpened and is now dark with age. The initial Alcoso maker mark is visible under the crossguard facing the front the norm for these initial production Alcoso army’s. The dagger is a text book early Alcoso and exhibits nice hand detail work you would expect from a dagger of this vintage. If any one knows a researcher who specializes in wappen please let me know I would love nothing more then to put a name with this dagger.

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques

Hi Tom..totally love it...having that been there done that look to it...one question...is it the photography or is the hangers shorter in length? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry thanks – The hangers are very short !

?

Tom, I can see why you bought this dagger! I would have bought it too It's a very nice piece with lots of character. Congretulations and thanks for showing.

Danny

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast