Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown German ww2 dagger hangers

Article about: Hello guys, First of all Happy New Year to all the members and their families! Hope 2024 will be a great year for all of you and your hobby I encountered dagger hangers which I cannot identi

Default Unknown German ww2 dagger hangers

Hello guys,

First of all Happy New Year to all the members and their families!
    Hope 2024 will be a great year for all of you and your hobby
    I encountered dagger hangers which I cannot identify.
    I was thinking Red Cross but I can’t find anything similar.
    Can any of you guys help me with identification?

Thank you Unknown German ww2 dagger hangersUnknown German ww2 dagger hangersUnknown German ww2 dagger hangersUnknown German ww2 dagger hangersUnknown German ww2 dagger hangers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown German ww2 dagger hangers
    P
    Many

Hi Michael...I would say its a good guess because of the colors ...but other details in the photo below will show the differences.

The hanger buckles on Red Cross leader daggers are round...the hanger you posted are square and those buckles are square which the buckles only were used on Luftwaffe hangers.
    Luftwaffe hangers are blue.

Also take notice on the hangers you posted are missing the 2 retainer clamps that are close to the bottom next to the snap clips.
    You will also see less red in the Red cross hangers than what you posted.

Im sure other collectors will be along shortly ...but this I am curious myself what they are or was it a put together?
    Wait for more comments.

Regards Larry

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you for your response Larry.
    I actually didn’t notice the retaining straps missing, good observation. You can see they were there though (lack of discoloration in the spots where retaining straps were), which tells me they were probably broken or removed.

Thank you

Anyone?

Hi Michael...usually someone shows up by now and temporarily I will move this thread to the Heer dagger forum until someone does and I will make sure your thread is at the top until further replies will come.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Luftwaffe hanger fittings with a homemade strap.
    Whatever the hobbybopper had in mind? well aint got a clue.....maybe he drank a bottle of whiskey and saw pink elefants and those inspired him

Ger

It’s a possibility, but I hardly doubt someone drunk sewing and making this kind of straps.
    When someone doesn’t have an answer, usually it gets turned into a joke.

- - ------- - -

Thank you very much Larry.
    I will await further info.

Cheers

?

Ok, lets break it down to the most likely conclusion.
    First of all, the top clip and the straps are definitly used on Red Cross leader hangers.
    The ghost of the retainers indicate the strap has been used intense, so most likely one or maybe both clips cracked along the years.
    The clips and buckles were replaced by Luftwaffe Deluxe fittings.
    That is the version of broken en replaced parts by the owner done period.

Version 2:
    Bad storage could have easily affected the zink parts with what we call zinkpest.
    The owner/collector had a Luftwaffe Deluxe hanger with worn straps and decided to build a good Red Cross hanger from the parts he had.
    Red flag on these Square Luft Buckles is the long pin, we see long pins on repro fittings a lot.

Whenever this was done, no one can tell.
    IMO this strap never left the plant this way.

Regards
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 01-18-2024 at 10:31 AM.

I agree with Ger, these look like a Frankenstein set to me. The hardware does look like those from a Luft dagger. The cloth is curious, the reverse does resemble that of a DRK hanger but the front is not the same. Someone’s idea of a project but it doesn’t resemble a period set.

Interesting discussion. I know very little about hangers, but note that one objection to the OP's example are the rectangular buckles. I pulled out my copy of Angolia's 1971 tome and offer this to the debate, no idea if he is correct though;

Unknown German ww2 dagger hangersUnknown German ww2 dagger hangersUnknown German ww2 dagger hangers

I notice he mentions a peebled finish, not oak leaves, which I've always believed indicate military.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast