Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.

Article about: Hi all, I know a lot about a little, and very little about a lot. My main fields are not German militaria related, but I really want one example of a nice Heer dagger for my collection. And

?

Default WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.

Hi all,
    I know a lot about a little, and very little about a lot.
    My main fields are not German militaria related, but I really want one example of a nice Heer dagger for my collection. And because we collectors are ALWAYS telling to people to ask BEFORE they buy and not afterwards, wanted to run this one past you and ask if there is anything to be concerned about.
    To me, it appears to be a nice condition common WKC, with portabee and hanger that, while not in the best condition, are nice to have.
    The blade appears in great condition with sharp unaltered tip and most of the cross grain showing. Grip isn't cracked, pommel has 12 leaves.
    Scabbard has a small dent. Would love to have that removed, but for now it isn't critical. I would like a nice honest example that doesn't have to be the rarest maker, but just a nice and genuine piece that hasn't been messed with too much.

Can anyone comment or advise if there is anything to beware of? I would appreciate it. A friend here is selling it..price is very decent, and they are not common here in South Africa.
    Any advice or comments would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.   WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.  

WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.   WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC Heer dagger - opinions sought.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome and a great first post.Since you've been registered here for a while, I'm sure you know that some of the most respected and published collectors are here. So someone will be around shortly.

like you,I know a little about a little...so will leave responses to those that know more. But it looks nice to me

Great photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Chaos..interesting user name..hopefully none will break out

The dagger you show is all correct being from a mid to late period production 1937- 42.
    WKC used 6 types of guards over the years..and yours is a Type 4 which fits the time period of this dagger.

The scabbard is also correct from what I can see having the one side screw.
    Pommel having the 14 leaves and the late period Type C grip.

The blade is in immaculate condition still retaining alot of its original crossgraining.
    I see no issues with this dagger....but wait also for other thoughts and opinions from other collectors and 2 of the forums Heer dagger authors

The hangers are authentic..but wait for opinions on the time period that they belong to.
    Nice find !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you very much Larry and MAP, I appreciate the feedback.
    Btw, the pommel appears to have 12 leaves if I count around it. I assume that doesn't change much of the info given?
    When I started Japanese swords 15 years ago..I thought that was a tough field. But German militaria makes that look like a walk in the park
    And with the ease that these are disassembled and messed with, it feels like a minefield. Kudos to those who have spent their days learning what counts when it comes to these.

Although I don't know all of the nuances of makers and their particular fittings, it looks okay to me as well.
    It appears to be in decent shape with a lot of cross graining as well.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The dagger shown is a typical late war piece with the last crossguard WKC used. You can tell it's late war because of the materials used and the late scabbard. What's interesting about this scabbard is that later in the war WKC purchased scabbards from Eickhorn but instead of the backside screw Eickhorn used they used the typical WKC single sidescrew. Exactly like the example shown here with Eickhorn scabbard bands and finished in the WKC factory.

Danny

looks a nice set.