Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1944 dated Mk III

Article about: Hi Mark, great pick-up and in-line with the 70th anniversary too, I have yet to source a really nice condition Mk3 like this so many thanks for showing it, and for inspiring me to look a lit

?

Default 1944 dated Mk III

I came upon this Mk III a couple of weeks back she is a little on the salty side but I have never been known for turning a helmet in need out and decided to give it a new home and as today is the 70th anniversary of D-day I thought it would be a good day to post it up.
    It is an earlier Mk III due to the fact she has been factory painted in khaki green instead of khaki brown as found on the later war produced Mk III's the shell is marked on the rear skirt but it is very hard to make out the manufacturer I can just make out the date though and IMO it was produced in 1944 .
    There are a couple of tells though that does help one in pin pointing who the producer was though such as the stamp runs vertically instead of horizontal this in conjunction with the overlapping and welded rim joint points to the manufacturer being BMB
    The liner is well marked and dated 1944 and was produced by (CCL) Charles Collett Ltd. IMO this helmet has been in this configuration for some time as the liner securing nut and bolt look untouched and are seized together and will not come apart this helmet is a welcome addition to my collection and I now have full representation of these iconic helmets covering four decades of military service in the British Armed forces

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 dated Mk III   1944 dated Mk III  

1944 dated Mk III   1944 dated Mk III  

Nice looking lid! glad its found a new home!!!

?

Thanks for some reason I am always picking up strays just cant bare the thought of putting them down

Regards Mark

?

Well worth picking up these early khaki green ones, is the service number on the chin strap?

?

Thanks Aaron and yes it is on the chinstrap.

Regards Mark

?

Can you let us know what the number is, might be able to trace it.

Top buy Markdoesn't get much better than this mate,well done and congrats............

?

Thanx Jake I now have a Mk III.Mk IV. And two Mk VI's the later being a 70's MOD refitted with the donut style liner.
    Aaron as besy I can tell the service number is 22836989 .

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 06-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.

?

The chin strap was used from 1951-55.

?

Thanx Aaron begs one to wonder if the helmet was used post war for a time and or the chinstrap was just changed out.
    I do have the proper Mk III chinstrap for it perhaps I should change it out so it is in its correct configuration.
    Or are you trying to say by the service number it was used post war ?

Regards Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast