Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

African MII's saved.

Article about: I've got a friend who works up at the local scrap yard. Anyway he gave me a text to say that a couple of helmets had come in and was I interested because they were getting scraped anyway. Wh

Default African MII's saved.

I've got a friend who works up at the local scrap yard. Anyway he gave me a text to say that a couple of helmets had come in and was I interested because they were getting scraped anyway.
    What happens at his work is when a load of mixed scrap comes in its dumped on the yard the crane lifts all the big stuff first then they run the big magnet over what's lift , its then the boys go in to sort out all the non ferrous metals.
    These helmets were left on the ground after the magnet which is how he found them.
    So these helmets have been kicked around a bit.
    They are nothing special but still nice they have been saved. There were three in total unfortunately the boys cut one up to test the metal. they didn't understand why they didn't stick to the magnet.
    By the looks of them both have been factory painted their smooth sand colour. They have then at some point had there liners removed and then painted this shade of smooth green inside, they have then had there liners refitted/replaced and been painted outside the same colour. The reason I say this is the liner bolts have been painted in place.
    The helmets do not appear to have been painted with a brush.
    One has its African made 1943 jagar-rand liner. Split riveted chinstrap lugs.
    The other has a British made 1943 FFL Fisher Foils Ltd liner and odd chinstrap. round riveted chinstrap lugs.
    I wonder if the home guard received a batch of these and who painted them.
    regards
    Rod

African MII's saved.African MII's saved.African MII's saved.African MII's saved.

Nice! Please give your friends my number. Jim G.

?

The one with the British liner, was probably used post war, loads of Countries used them. From Northern/Southern Europe, to Israel. The other one probably too, nice ww2 net.