Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am i missing something here?

Article about: by NCA Another question, just to get it straight in my head! MK 1 helmet is the ww1 brodie, MK2 is the ww2 tin hat,MK3 is the 'turtle' helmet with the chinstrap loops higher up the helmet, M

NCA
    ?

Question Am i missing something here?

Saw this on ebay..to me its just a bog-standard tommy lid...Why the high price?
    (sorry i dont know how to capture photos.)
    WW2 BRITISH 1940 TOMMY HELMET | eBay

?

Default Re: Am i missing something here?

I guess that's about the top end price for one like that, the MkIII's seemed to be going around the £100 mark now it seems they hardly sell for more than £50? Ebays a bit like that, but there's nothing that makes that helmet worth that amount than the next one.
    What did shock me though was a red cross marked MkII that went for £65, apart from the red cross which was ok there was only about 10% paint left on the helmet & the liner looked shagged.
    Aaron

NCA
    ?

Hmm, yes ebay is strange sometimes!I have a feeling that one will sell for even more..
    I remember the medic lid you refer to, strange the red cross was intact but the rest of the paint was flaking off?
    Personally speaking if im going to buy a painted or decalled helmet i'd prefer to handle it..im just too suspicious!

NCA
    ?

Another question, just to get it straight in my head!

MK 1 helmet is the ww1 brodie, MK2 is the ww2 tin hat,MK3 is the 'turtle' helmet with the chinstrap loops higher up the helmet, MK4 turtle type but rivets lowered(same liner as ww2 tinhat) MK5 turtle again but with a snap in liner and 'sock', Mk6 plastic helmet in use now along side MK7 not available to buy..
    Is that right?

?

You missed the Mk6a, NCA which is a slight improvement on the Mk6 and is black in colour. You can get Mk7s but if you do better give it to a serving soldier as he needs it more than you.

I saw that helmet on Ebay and was surprised by how much it sprang up considering it's a bog standard helmet. Maybe someone got carried away. To me £30 to £50 pounds is about right.

I've have been looking to acquire an ordinary British army Mk II for a while now and have been frustrated. I thought I got one but it turned out to be a Fire Service helmet coloured Tundra Blue instead of Khaki. If anyone wants it let me know.

There are plenty advertised on Ebay but lately far too many have been restricted to UK sales only. I can't even bid from here in Ireland. I'm not sure why there's that restriction. It also seems to me that helmets sold UK only sell for less. The sellers seems to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe that's the reason this one is got expensive. It's one of the few available to international buyers?

trust me we don't need mk7 helmets we get given lots of shit equiptment that we don't need

tom

NCA
    ?

Noelh, it may be worth contacting the seller direct if you see one you like..get them to change the countries they sell to.Strikes me as strange you cant buy one though??I understand where youre coming from re the mk7's, doesnt stop folk selling brand new in box ones though.

And Talltom, whats the deal with the mk7's?

nca ive been given 2 so far along with 3 molle chest rigs and 3sets of the new camo as well as the old stuff its all wasted cos we don't need 3 types of camo (basically the mod ain't worked out whats going on yet) so we get tons of kit dumped on us

tom

?

Thanks I might try that NCA, I know some countries have issues with delivery. But this isn't one.

Talltom, I thought the Mk7 was an improvement? I have a Mk6 and 6A and am not impressed but for me they are history now and worth collecting. Meanwhile someone I know in the Irish army reserve prefers the British helmet to the old style Rabintex Israeli helmet that's normal issue with our reservists. Claims it gives him headaches. He just sticks an Irish DPM cover on it and no one knows different. The regulars have a new Israeli PASGT style helmet which they seem happy with. Meanwhile another pal in the Irish Guards (British army) preferred the Para helmet. That's another one you missed NCA. But apparently that doesn't have the protection of the others.

Man, the modern helmet situation is way complicated. Collectors in the future are going to have a lot of work working out what's what.

Meanwhile all I want is a straightforward ordinary British army MkII. It was easier for me to acquire a World War One Brodie!

noelh the mk7 is an improvement of the mk 6 by making it lower and looking more like the pasget. they are goodish helmets its just we get given tons of them (to get one you get a small scratch on the side of helmet take it to the QM and they let you take it home and give you another)

tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast