Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another M1, Wartime or Post War?

Article about: Hello Forum, I´ve picked this helmet up for a good price. It should be an American M1, but i dont know what that white stamp could be, and i havent found any netting similar to the one on t

Default Another M1, Wartime or Post War?

Hello Forum,

I´ve picked this helmet up for a good price.
    It should be an American M1, but i dont know what that white stamp could be, and i havent found any netting similar to the one on this helmet, is it a PostWar example or a Wartime example?
    These pictures are all i´ve got so far, i will add more when it arrives.

Any Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Another M1, Wartime or Post War?Another M1, Wartime or Post War?Another M1, Wartime or Post War?Another M1, Wartime or Post War?Another M1, Wartime or Post War?Another M1, Wartime or Post War?

The M1 was used with a large variety of nets as there was no standard one until the M-1944 (which I believe is an unofficial designation) a lot of nets were taken from the British/Canadians or made by the soldiers themselves. To me your net kinda looks like the one that the 79th infantry division used, but with all helmet accessories without providence it was most likely put on by another person and even then I'm not 100% sure of the net being original. Can't comment on what the white mark is.

Heres a good link on helmet nets: 90th IDPG: The Shrimp Net: The Misunderstood Net of World War II

Thank you very much for your opinion, i supose the helmet is original WW2 then? I bought the helmet for a really good price, not even considering the net, from a guy who found it like this, so if the net turns out to be a newer i still made a good deal.

The shell is defeinetly WW2 era due to the rim and I think the liner is good as well. The only thing that could be wrong with the shell is if it was repainted for korea, but from the pictures so far it doesn't look like this one was. If you want a net for the helmet I recommend getting a 1/4inch British net as they were used extensively by the Americans and personally I think they look the best.

Pictures are of poor quality but the liner looks European.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hm, the Opinions seem to differ, what makes you think its a european helmet?

I had already edited my post when I saw helmet in my post. It’s a high dome with fixed loops but the liner I do not believe it’s US. I would like better pictures of the j hook.

I will post them once the helmet arrives, thanks for your Opinion, its good to know atlest the shell is probably WW2.

Nope the helmet is NOT US. I see a rear seam on this helmet. A US fixed bale would be front seam.

Yeah, it looks to me fixed bales by the pictures, but it is a rear seam, weird. It also looks to have the leather strap too... I would have said it is a WWII US but with the fixed bales and rear seam that seems a little odd.... Now my eyes may be playing tricks on me and those are swivel bales but I don't think so. Interesting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast