Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Australian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WA

Article about: Hello everyone After promising my wife that I wasn't going to purchase any more helmets for a little while, I "accidentally" bought this one off eBay this week. It didn't seem over

?

Default Australian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WA

Hello everyone

After promising my wife that I wasn't going to purchase any more helmets for a little while, I "accidentally" bought this one off eBay this week. It didn't seem overly expensive so I expected someone to outbid me but I was the only bidder. It did have a questionable net which maybe kept people away but I think it helped me as it also hid the serial number and name.

It arrived yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the condition its named to 17557 Cpl Price, A J which after a ww2 nominal role check indicated as Corporal Alfred John PRICE RAAF born 1/3/1908 in Perth WA, enlisted 26/8/40 in Mount Lawley Perth WA and discharged 31/1/46. When I get a chance I will apply for his records to see where he served.

I have a couple of concerns which I hope someone can help with.

It has Mk III chin strap lugs but they aren't dated, is this normal? I've only seen dated ones.

The serial number looks old to me but I'm no expert. You can still see the stencil to ensure it was put on straight which looks similar to lead pencil but I could be wrong.

Any comments welcome

Alex
    Australian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WAAustralian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WA

I cannot comment on the lugs.

But I like it overall.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks Ade. Its fast becoming one of my favourite helmets, as long as it gets the forum tick of approval.

Hi, Aaron will most probably know about the lugs but I think overall, you have bought a fine named helmet. (just don't tell the wife!) Leon.

?

Thanks Leon. Unfortunately she was home when it got delivered and she didn't buy the "accidently purchased" line.

Thats a nice one Alex.
    These RAAF lids are coming up quite often lately,i have a couple myself.
    I dont mean to rain on your parade,but the writing on it seems a bit off (to me anyway) The pencil writing seems fine but i reckon someone has added the white writing to it,you can even see where they have carefully marked guidelines for the script.
    Having said that,it is still a fine Sand Camo Helmet and always nice to see the inspectors mark
    I also have a few with no date on the lugs,there could be a Dunlop makers mark on the liner sometimes these have dates.
    Cheers Mick

Well done overall,the Helmet just has such a great look to it,awesome buy..............

?

Thanks Mick and Jake for your comments.

The guidelines for the paint appear to be in pencil and seem to match the pencil writing. The paint has a off white, slightly yellow discolouration which isn't uniform and my poor photography skills didn't really pick it up. The scratch to the J was done post painting and has rubbed the paint and rusted the shell. Im thinking the paint is old but is it ww2 period?, you can never be 100%.

Either way if the paint is WW2 or post war it is still a very nice helmet

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Thanks Mick and Jake for your comments.

The guidelines for the paint appear to be in pencil and seem to match the pencil writing. The paint has a off white, slightly yellow discolouration which isn't uniform and my poor photography skills didn't really pick it up. The scratch to the J was done post painting and has rubbed the paint and rusted the shell. Im thinking the paint is old but is it ww2 period?, you can never be 100%.
    Hi Alex, I can see what Mick is saying about the painted naming, but for me I still think the naming has good age to it. I have a wardens MKII that has a Christian cross painted to the front that is 100% period and you can still see the pencil "guide lines" that were used on that. The thing about pencil is that it does not fade over time, so it can give the appearance of being brand new. Leon.Australian No. 1 Mk. II Helmet named to RAAF Cpl from Perth WA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast