MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)

Article about: Hello all, now that I have an A-10a oxygen mask I can finally setup my USAAF display dedicated to my great uncle who was a radio operator in a B-17 apart of the 8th Airforce. The flight helm

Default B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)

Hello all, now that I have an A-10a oxygen mask I can finally setup my USAAF display dedicated to my great uncle who was a radio operator in a B-17 apart of the 8th Airforce. The flight helmet is a B6 which was used throughout the war, many were modified with snaps to hold the mid-late war O2 masks and ear cups to hold radio receivers. Unfortunately mine only have snaps as the last person removed the earcups and sewed over the holes, but that's not a big issue. The goggles are not the B8s used by the USAAF they are the m1944s which are almost exactly the same except for the chemois lining. I just happened to have one m1944 in the box and since I still haven't found a good set of AN6530s goggles that I want for the display they make a nice place holder. Besides the goggles I would like to eventually change the flight helmet as the snaps aren't in the best shape and the lack of radios on it is not great. The reason I have two of the straps next to each other (which is nto secure the O2 mask is that the snap above it started to peel off which is why I'm considering going with an A-11. I'm not sure if I would get another B6 as I've read the snaps on them don't hold up as well as the A-11 since those helmets were designed to hold an O2 mask unlike the B6 and I don't want to ruin a one of a kind item. The only issue I have with an A-11 is that I'm not 100% sure my great uncle would've had one since he was shot down at the end of January in 1944 which is around the time the A-11 started to be widely issued. Overall I really like how its turned out so far, I think it looks really great with the flak helmet on it, but my shelf height is preventing me from displaying it with it on. The reason I have two of the straps next to each other to secure the O2 mask (which is not how it was worn) is that the snap above it started to peel off which put the idea of an A-11 in my head. Thank you for reading.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)   B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)  

B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)   B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)  

B-17 Radio operator display (in progress)  

MAP
    ?

And to think I was there for some of these items. You certainly scored with the oxygen mask and the steel pot!

Great set up. Well done.

And a really nice display (although it could use some dusting )
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks AWESOME Stephen!!!

I Love the Flak helmets setup. That is something I need to find, But I'm being picky and want one with the all the flocking present. Hard to find and will cost me a pretty penny$$$.
    That A-10 O2 mask makes that setup. I like the look of it.Very Cool!!. Someday I need to add another O2 mask for the A-11 I got and I think Ill try for an A-10. You scored BIG TIME with that deal you found!!

By the way!! Nice collection you have there.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Looks AWESOME Stephen!!!

I Love the Flak helmets setup. That is something I need to find, But I'm being picky and want one with the all the flocking present. Hard to find and will cost me a pretty penny$$$.
    That A-10 O2 mask makes that setup. I like the look of it.Very Cool!!. Someday I need to add another O2 mask for the A-11 I got and I think Ill try for an A-10. You scored BIG TIME with that deal you found!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    The seller at this show NEVER had USAAF stuff before. Ever. I've known him for years. Good guy too. But always TR stuff. We walked in and almost his whole table was USAAF. Perfect for Steve. He played it very cool too....LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    The seller at this show NEVER had USAAF stuff before. Ever. I've known him for years. Good guy too. But always TR stuff. We walked in and almost his whole table was USAAF. Perfect for Steve. He played it very cool too....LoL
    He must of played it cool. I would have had a shit eating grin on my face If I saw a NOS A-10 for $75 . He did fantastic on that pick up!!!!
    I've been telling him that patience is what you need for these, They are out there, you just have to wait for it to pop up and he did!!!

I'm very happy for him!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Looks AWESOME Stephen!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    He had some nice helmet set up on that table. I kind of wish I picked up the Anh 16 display or the RAF one. He also RAF MKVII goggles in the box as well which would be nice to have, but there's always next time. He had another A10a in the box but the tube wasn't in great shape, if its there next time and your still looking for one we'll send you some pics of it I can't imagine him charging more than what I paid for mine.

Nice display! Well done.
    Andy

"And a really nice display (although it could use some dusting)".

I love dusty displays..

Reminds me of my own dusty bedroom..

yeah its too much effort to take everything down and dust it, though the helmets themselves get dusted relatively frequently. I also don't mind the dust it reminds me of museum displays.