Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

?

These threads never die and that's great. I am posting two of my netted Mk II helmets.

The first is my British Mk II made by BMB and dated 1943, The net was on the helmet when purchased.

Next is my Canadian Mk II made by G.S.W. with a date of 1941. The Canadian two tone helmet was added to the helmet by me.

?

Quote by gbalke View Post
    These threads never die and that's great. I am posting two of my netted Mk II helmets.

The first is my British Mk II made by BMB and dated 1943, The net was on the helmet when purchased.

Next is my Canadian Mk II made by G.S.W. with a date of 1941. The Canadian two tone helmet was added to the helmet by me.

Is that first one an Indian made net? Nice looking helmets. Makes me want to break out my camera and take some pictures.

?

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Is that first one an Indian made net? Nice looking helmets. Makes me want to break out my camera and take some pictures.
    To be honest I have no idea. Helmet nets are not my strong point.

?

Quote by gbalke View Post
    To be honest I have no idea. Helmet nets are not my strong point.
    Is it more of a tan colour or a brown colour? Here is a Indian made I have in my collection, these are not all the same but it could give you an idea.

?

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Is it more of a tan colour or a brown colour? Here is a Indian made I have in my collection, these are not all the same but it could give you an idea.

Here's a better photo. Not as tan as yours, but more tan than brown. The weave does look similar to your net.

SMP
    ?

The first net is British, not Indian. Indian nets are quite thick - almost like rope. The squares are also bigger - 1 inch plus.

?

Found this bit of information on a website about the 90th Inf Div. by Josh Kerner.

Our analysis begins with an examination of the number of “Shrimp Nets” procured from the British. In Report No.18: Camouflage Activities June 1942-May 1945 there is a listing of camouflage supplies the British supplied to the Americans in what would become the 12th Army Group. It states that from March to July of 1944 1,700,000 “Net, camouflage, steel helmet, M-1, cotton shrimp” were procured from British sources, and that additional 10,000 were procured from the British by December.(11)
    (11) Ibid, 94

Thus, by the end of 1944 at least 1,710,000 Shrimp Nets, total, were provided to the US by the British. However, that number is imprecise because the document does not list in detail any other sort of nets being provided during this period, and appears to classify all types of helmet netting provided by the British as “shrimp nets”. Given the thoroughness of the rest of the document, the ambiguity of the reference may explained a number of ways, including:

The number of other style nets provided were so insignificant that they were not recorded;
    After March of 1944, the only nets the British gave the Americans were “Shrimp Nets” with the other styles being among the 500,000 given prior to March of 1944 and mentioned in this document;
    All helmet nets were described as shrimp nets; and/or
    The British didn’t actually supply other styles of helmet nets.*

Four examples of knotted nets.

SMP
    ?

Nice to see !

I find this on ebay. Australian net with label.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast