Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British Home Guard helmet ?

Article about: A friend of mine recently acquired this Mk II and sent me a few images last night as he wants to list it for sale but this one has me scratching my head some and as these are a little out of

?

Default British Home Guard helmet ?

A friend of mine recently acquired this Mk II and sent me a few images last night as he wants to list it for sale but this one has me scratching my head some and these are a little out of my field of collecting so I thought I would post it up and ask for a few opinions from the membership .
    I am of the opinion it is a Home Guard helmet I have just never seen one quite like this example before he did not send me a lot of information beyond it is a 1940 dated Mk I any thoughts and or opinions would be appreciated .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Home Guard  helmet ?   British Home Guard  helmet ?  

British Home Guard  helmet ?  

?

Until shortages of helmets were met the homguard used whatever they could get. Hence grey No.2C's were repainted and issued, but the paint on this one to me does not look old or worn.
    I wonder if the badge to front & side flash was added to look like a WW1 re-enactment or film prop.

Hi Mark, I have to agree with Aaron, I feel that this is a post war "enhanced" helmet. The paint just appears to fresh and I have only ever come across one other helmet before that had a period "weld mark" where a metal insignia had once been attached to the front. I could be wrong but I would not be comfortable with this one myself. Leon.