Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

Article about: Guys...I've just spent 300 years (nearly) working through screens and screens of 1 & 2 page threads on the Mk4. Most of the MkII stuff now gets added to one highly informative (and BIG)

I'm sure i have a 59 dated sock liner i'll get digging through the boxes to see if my Hunch is correct.

Another Civil (I must learn to put that "C" word at the END of the post to ensure readers don't move on too quickly :-) ) MkIV....and it's really quite minty..it could possibly win The Most Minty MkIV Civil Helmet Competition in National Helmet Week in Helmet Land on National Minty MkIV Helmet Day. But hey, it's Civil so....errrr.....'bye!

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

...and what a clear stamp....you can almost smell the....errrr.....MINT!

?

Trebor.

....that'll go over soooooo many heads....... :-)

In regards to the terminology, mkv, I know some do not like the term as it is not marked on any helmets....but what comes after is labelled mkvi, then mkvia then mkvii....then perhaps use of the term mkv for an upgraded mkiv is correct.....discuss

Also I note there is a mkv sock type liner for sale on ebay,not something you see often, though it is listed as a wwii mkii liner lol.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Your logic is flawless......we either accept there wasn’t a FORMAL “5” and jump from 4 to 6 and, presumably, refer to re-linered 4s as a 4As....or we just keep calling it a 5........or how about an “M76”?

Remember that the user instruction leaflet for the Mk6 specifically refers to it replacing the Mk4 helmet. Also the helmets are referred to as 'Helmet G.S Mk.6' and 'Mk.4', no Roman numerals.

Obviously there must have been some idea that a Mk5 existed, why else would there be a Mk6, but it seems to have vanished without trace. Perhaps if we live long enough MC will enlighten us.

(And stop it with the 'M76' stuff.)

What do you think?

Definitely a MkIV (another really clear stamp....'makes a change!). Very limited liner "spider" frame info...'can't find a date...there's not a label on the "sock" either......and a quite-hard-to-see inverted green triangle on the side....although I guess it could be faded blue (?) - thank you Tinlid for your off-line assistance there. And what I think is my very first quick-release strap. It's said to have come out of Germany....a made-up piece or OK??

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

?

Probably a white inverted triangle, over painted green

- - ------- - -

Probably a white inverted triangle, over painted green.

- - ------- - -

Probably a white inverted triangle, over painted green.

...hadn't thought of that...looks like I ought to do a bit of discreet scratching....can you imagine that sentence on a TR thread?! :-)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast