Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.

Article about: Hi guys I acquired this helmet in the early 80’s but have only dug it out recently to have a good look at it. Unfortunately it has some areas of heavy corrosion. It’s a MK2 with a stainless

?

Default British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.

British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.

Hi guys
    I acquired this helmet in the early 80’s but have only dug it out recently to have a good look at it. Unfortunately it has some areas of heavy corrosion.

It’s a MK2 with a stainless steel rim and non magnetic shell. The chinstrap lugs are marked 1938 II. The liner is a Mk1 liner dated 1939.

The colour of the shell seems neither grey or Green, any opinions on whom it might have been issued to?

Why civil defence, it could have been issued to Home Guard or Army?

?

British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.

I found it in the out building of a farm along with three similar helmets. Unfortunately the building wasn’t watertight and all of them were in various states of corrosion, the one I recovered being the best of a bad bunch.

Due to the location of the find I assumed it was home front issue rather than army. I posted some more pictures, does the colour match the colour of regular army helmets produced in the late 30’s.

?

Looking at the unpainted Mk2 chin strap lugs and smooth painted exterior, I'd say it was a private purchase home front.

?

British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.

Tin lid

Thanks, I was wondering if the unpainted chinstrap lugs were signifigent. Its interesting that a helmet with a stainless steel rim, non magnetic shell and non magnetic chinstrap springs was available to the public, I would have thought that a helmet with those specs would have been reserved for military use.

Around the same time period I also managed to acquire a MK.II 2C from an local factory which was owned by my friends father. It’s the type commonly referred to as a Homeguard helmet but I believe this helmet was used by the factory workers during air raids. Picture attached.

?

Although the HG were glad to get any type/ colour painted helmets, especially in the first few months, year of the war.
    HG like the army, were painted textured khaki green on the outside.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.   British MK2 helmet, Civil Defense.  

?

Thanks Tinlid for all your assistance you’ve been a tremendous help.