Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British mk2 liner help please!

Article about: Hi friends, i hope everyone is ok... could i please ask your thoughts on this helmet please? I think its a nice textured army mk2, f&l 1941'but i have never seen a liner like this one...

?

Default British mk2 liner help please!

Hi friends, i hope everyone is ok... could i please ask your thoughts on this helmet please? I think its a nice textured army mk2, f&l 1941'but i have never seen a liner like this one...
    The only markings are the printed 7 and a 'C64'. Has anybody seen this before?
    I think there is also a numer on the strap, possibly J920542 - does anybody know if this is british?
    Thanks as always,
    Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British mk2 liner help please!   British mk2 liner help please!  

British mk2 liner help please!   British mk2 liner help please!  

I believe it's a quality control inspector's stamp. 'C' standing for 'Control', and the number being the number assigned to that particular inspector. The number on the strap will be the owner's service number, which could be either Home Front or military.

A similar quality control marking in one of my own helmets:

Regards, B.B.

It is a QC Mark...but I’ve not seen one like that before....and I’ve seen quite a few!

It’s said that the QC folk weren’t consistently at the same factories.....and I did some work a while ago to see if there was a relationship between marks and liner makers...I couldn’t find one at that time.....

?

Helmet has been refurbished post war, liner is post war too.

Is there a date on the helmet head band?

Aaron.....from the pics, what tells you it’s post-War.....is it the style of the QC stamp or am I missing something HUGE?

?

I've got a pic of a 49 dated liner with same qc stamp.
    Also the size on cruciform pad is a common post war thing.
    Helmet is dark brown when it should be khaki green.

Yep...I missed the great big huge white “7”.......DOH!!

SMP
    ?

Service number = Royal Engineers

...about 5' 7"...dark hair, moustache, 2 kids, Cocker Spaniel, size 7 shoe.....

?

Thanks very much everyone, as ever, great stuff. I did wonder... I’ll have a closer look at the headband tomorrow. Does large printed numbers generally mean post war then? I haven’t seen one before..