Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British mk2 snow camo?

Article about: Hello comrades... Not sure about this one, but i found this mk2 last week, and thought it was a bit different. The seller says it is from Belgium, but thats all he could tell me. Has anybody

?

Default British mk2 snow camo?

Hello comrades...
    Not sure about this one, but i found this mk2 last week, and thought it was a bit different. The seller says it is from Belgium, but thats all he could tell me. Has anybody got any snow cammo examples in hand? I've never seen one before...
    Would be really interested to know your thoughts. It is certainly over a textured paint, but I'm not convinced!
    Thanks as always, shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British mk2 snow camo?   British mk2 snow camo?  

British mk2 snow camo?   British mk2 snow camo?  

I’ve never seen one........ but that doesn’t mean........

Good luck.

?

Funny how its got no liner with a clean inside and a nice non rotted strap with no springs showing on it ?

?

Thanks you for the comments gents, i'm not sure either, the paint is very thin. And if you've never seen one composite...!

Re the liner missing......some people take them out and put them in other helmets when selling.......and put straps ON them. When I buy a helmet I generally buy the shell, if the rest it “right” it’s a bonus....just sayin’

Fake or not, it’s a great question......were there any white Military MkII?

I’ve not seen a painted white helmet in period photos of British or Canadian troops. The only images I have seen (or can find) either show them with a white cover (unsure if that is a issued piece or field made) or with the hood up on the snow smock, otherwise they don’t appear to have any white camouflage. I guess you can never say never and I would be interested to see if there are any period photos of painted helmets.

?

Great question. I was just about to post these two period images, looks like a hood or cover were standard in cold combat. Interesting topic...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British mk2 snow camo?   British mk2 snow camo?  

British mk2 snow camo?

This IWM image of 9 DLI (Operation Blackcock I think) is more typical with temporary helmet covering worn. I've not yet seen a period photo of a whitewashed helmet clearly shown. Vehicles, yes, but not helmets. Guess snow was transient and so what Tommy was going to be bothered to go to the effort only to have to remove it in a few days or else stand out like a sore thumb! If anyone digs up a period photo would love to see it.
    At last year's War and Peace I saw a whitewashed helmet for sale but avoided it on the grounds that the evidence is thin, to say the least, that they were worn.

British mk2 snow camo?

Slightly better image - all, it appears, cloth covered helmets...

British mk2 snow camo?

So..plenty of snow and a whitewashed vehicle but these 43rd Div troops have not bothered to snow camo...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast