Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Pith/Wolseley Helmet, Help needed to ID

Article about: Hey guys, friend alerted me to this helmet for sale. I'm pretty new to the world of Wolseley-type helmets and just wondering if you guys could help me identify a few things, I'd love to make

Default British Pith/Wolseley Helmet, Help needed to ID

Hey guys, friend alerted me to this helmet for sale. I'm pretty new to the world of Wolseley-type helmets and just wondering if you guys could help me identify a few things, I'd love to make my first purchase:

1) is this a repro or original? Looks original to me, but I've never seen what scratches do to an original.
    2) Era/Year of the helmet? The only image of the liner/interior I have is the one provided.
    3) Unit marking? It looks like it might be a commando unit, but I've never seen a full colored sword with a black and red background.
    4) Fair price to buy?

Thank you!

Texlax03
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Pith/Wolseley Helmet, Help needed to ID   British Pith/Wolseley Helmet, Help needed to ID  

British Pith/Wolseley Helmet, Help needed to ID  

The pith looks fine, a post 1925 ish to pre 1943 Wolesley pattern with the Vero type removable liner. The flash is either a war office controlled unit or a HQ, but I can't remember which a this time. The question is has the flash always been on it, which I cannot tell from the pics. Value, anywhere between £75 to £150 if the flash is original to it and depending on what it is for, maybe only £50 if the flash has been added.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks a bunch Anon!

Do you have any recommended resources where I could research on that type of insignia? Would love to learn more.

Texlax03

There are some very good books, including badges on battledress by Cole, he did some others and they are the standard work on the subject though perhaps a little bit out of date.

You can find most of the common WWII examples on this link. British Formation Signs
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    There are some very good books, including badges on battledress by Cole, he did some others and they are the standard work on the subject though perhaps a little bit out of date.

You can find most of the common WWII examples on this link. British Formation Signs

Not to "nit-pick", but, a piece of advice when using the site in the link, be aware that there are several errata in it, especially in relation to dates.
    For example, I picked up on one straight away in relation to 6th Guards Tank Brigade.
    According to the site, 6GTB were only in NW Europe from February 1945 to June 1945, They were NOT. 6GTB actually landed in Normandy in June 1944 and finished the war in the Kiel Canal area in 1945.

Sorry for "hijacking" the thread.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I posted the link merely as a useful basic guide to ID'ing the most common WWII period cloth badges and not as anything more than that.

Well spotted Ian, though I have never actually examined that sort of information from that site in the depth to which you have, perhaps I should and certainly if I post the link again in the future I will try and remember to add a warning with regards to such as this.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks for the heads up, Jimpy. Wondering if the flash on this pith is some kind of lower HQ (COY sized) element that would be tough to locate.

?

Jerry and Tex:

You're welcome guys, I picked up on the 6GTB one straight off, because my late Grand-father was a sergeant/tank commander in 4th Btn Grenadier Guards which was one of the units in 6GTB.
    Also, I have an original "Order of Service" that was given out at the 4th Btn GG's end of war memorial service and it lists, among other things the advance of the Brigade and the official KIA list for 4GG.

Jerry: I wasn't having ago at you mate, I know that you are usually spot on with your references and info.

We all know that references, no matter where they come from, still need to be checked and double checked, "just in case", and, I am sure that we have all found multiple references for an item/s that disagree with each other, just goes to show that you can't take everything at face value.

Regards etc

Ian D

Last edited by jimpy; 08-21-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Tex:

Is the flash Red over black OR red over very dark blue?

Red over blue is the traditional flash colour for Royal Artillery, don't know about red over black.

The flash itself is bugging me, because I positive that I have seen it, or one very similar somewhere before.

Regards etc

Ian D

Last edited by jimpy; 08-21-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Addition

Ian, I had no thought that you were having a go mate.

I am sure it is something along the lines of infantry training school/brigade/battalion and it seems familiar as a post 45 issue, but I cannot find it in my reference books which don't really cover the post WWII period.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast