MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet

Article about: This was another helmet design based upon the basic shape of the Airborne helmet. Tankers soon found that they needed a steel helmet to wear when exposed in the turret or drivers position. T

Default British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet

This was another helmet design based upon the basic shape of the Airborne helmet.

Tankers soon found that they needed a steel helmet to wear when exposed in the turret or drivers position.

The shape of the standard "Tommy" helmet was not suited to wear in a tank, so this pattern of helmet was adopted. It rimless design was ideal. The first Tankers pattern helmet had a fibre rim around the edge and was based upon the 2nd pattern Airborne helmet. The one shown here is the second pattern Tankers helmet which was based upon the 3rd pattern Airborne helmet shell.

This particular example is dated 1952. Liner is made by FFL: Fisher & Ludlow Ltd in Birmingham.

I don't collect post war items as such, but this was a kind gift from a friend. It was found it in an attic and he was given it and passed it on to me.

The markings on this one are so far unexplained. The yellow/blue is the post war insignia for the Royal Army Service Corps. The Parachute is unexplained. But it may well have been worn by an RASC man who was an Air Despatcher? My best guess anyway...The RASC provided men as aircrew to drop supplies.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet   British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet  

Lorrie
    ?

Default royal armoured corp helmet 1939

HI, can anyone help? I have a helmet like the one shown but the liner says MK1, 1939 BMB with a marking of 3/4 circle with an arrow through it. It also has a different chin strap with elastic at the sides covered with canvas.
    Last edited by Lorrie; 05-27-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: adding information

?

Quote by Lorrie View Post
    HI, can anyone help? I have a helmet like the one shown but the liner says MK1, 1939 BMB with a marking of 3/4 circle with an arrow through it. It also has a different chin strap with elastic at the sides covered with canvas.
    Hi Lorrie.

First off, welcome to the group.

Now, onto your helmet. Any chance of some pic's please?

Ideally, we need good, clear pic's of any markings etc. A couple of overall shots would help as well.

From what you have said so far, it sounds like you have a Briggs Motor Builders (the BMB marking) made for the Canadian armed forces, (the 3/4 circle with the arrow through it). The chinstrap sounds as though it is a standard helmet chin-strap.

As usual, I am willing to stand corrected by others more knowledgeable than myself.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 05-27-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Grammar

?

The Helmet, Steel, RAC was introduced in 42 & you don't often see a Mk1 liner in them,normally the Mk2 liner.
    So pics would be good, the C^ plus some numbers, will be the acceptance/quality control stamp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet  

?

Hi Lorrie sounds like an intresting helmet the liner really intrigues me as a Canadian helmet collector I must say if you have a British manufactured liner in this helmet and it has a C-/l\ stamp on it that would be a first for me on the norm these are only seen on Canadian produced WW II era liners and other military equipment .

Thanx for the picturer Aaron the description had me scratching my head for a second.

Regards Mark

?

I wondered when you would chime in Mark, and I am glad that you did mate. Like you, I am waiting to see the pic's, they should make for some interesting discussion.

Regards etc
    Ian D

?

Indeed Ian it will be intresting to see which it is British quality control stamp or C-/l\ Aaron I think has it pegged already but one can hope.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 05-28-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers small phone (Really bad spelling)

?

Hi Mark,

I will be VERY surprised if Aaron hasn't nailed it, (it's not very often that he is wrong when it comes to British/Canadian helmets!)

Regards etc
    Ian D

?

It would definitely be very odd to see a BMB liner with a C-/l\ stamp and you are correct Aaron does not miss much Ian .

Regards Mark

So that's a British acceptance stamp !

Sorry for out of topic but I have a binocase with the identical stamp (except the numbers).

I thought it was a CDN C /|\ marking for many years.

Learned something new, today.

Thank you and regards,
    Taka
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet   British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast