Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British WW2 Mk1*, views on insignia?

Article about: Hi, I purchased this helmet at a military fair on the w/e in the UK. I am new to helmet collecting, but I believe it's a Mk1*. The liner is dated 1937 and the strap bracket 1938. I was told

Default British WW2 Mk1*, views on insignia?

Hi, I purchased this helmet at a military fair on the w/e in the UK. I am new to helmet collecting, but I believe it's a Mk1*. The liner is dated 1937 and the strap bracket 1938. I was told the strap itself is a replacement. Could I ask your views on the insignia please? Do you believe it to be original? (I was told it was by the dealer). From what I have seen on the net it is for the 42nd (East Lancashire) Infantry Division.

Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW2 Mk1*,  views on insignia?   British WW2 Mk1*,  views on insignia?  

British WW2 Mk1*,  views on insignia?   British WW2 Mk1*,  views on insignia?  

British WW2 Mk1*,  views on insignia?   British WW2 Mk1*,  views on insignia?  

?

Hi,
    You were at Farnham.
    Unfortunately it's a fake, as the dealer well knows.
    Being black painted, it's a home front helmet, the Div flash should be to the front of the helmet.

SMP
    ?

Sorry, I agree with Aaron. It's a home front MKII , not a MKI* , and the badge has been added.

Hi Chaps, thanks very much for the quick replies. I guess the price should have been a give away. It was up for £125, and I paid £100 for it. Yes I bought it at Farnham. I clearly have a lot to learn! and will put this down to experience.
    Is there a UK dealer you would recommend? For a new collector it feels like a bit of a minefield, what with these kind of fakes around.

Thanks again.

SMP
    ?

Most of us buy from E-bay, but that is a real minefield for beginners. Two dealers I can recommend are CS militaria ( Chris Sadler ) and our own Mr Tinlid (Aaron) who runs a small website as a side-line to his collecting : WW2 British Helmets

?

You could try contacting him, Military Collectables of Winton Bournemouth.

He'll be at the next Farnham I guess.

Thanks again Chaps, yes that was the seller. The guy I dealt with was called Clive (I took one of his cards). I will contact him and let you know how I get on.

Just FYI, the chap took back the helmet and gave a refund. Thanks again for the advice.