Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian air raid warden MK.II helmet

Article about: Found this ‘42 dated GSW helmet today, with matching 1942 liner. As you can see it has an Air Raid Warden’s white W. it also appears to have been painted white, with a removable distempe

Default Canadian air raid warden MK.II helmet

Found this ‘42 dated GSW helmet today, with matching 1942 liner. As you can see it has an Air Raid Warden’s white W. it also appears to have been painted white, with a removable distemper paint, much of which has since eroded away. Any idea why this temporary white paint would have been applied? And, do you think I should remove what’s left of this distemper, or leave the helmet as-is?

These things are usually over-painted for a whole host of reasons....up-ranking during the conflict (did Canadian Wardens go white when they were promoted?), use AFTER the conflict (post-war CD?), kids play things (although the inside suggests not), theatre companies seem to always have a helmet in the Wardrobe department (this might be a reason why the paint comes off), genuine re-use (loads of lids were used before their value was appreciated), camouflage (although German paratroopers were unlikely to reach Canada!), accidental spillage (this one doesn't seem to be)....and the worst one of all...."I thought it'd be cool to re-paint it". The liner and the strap look good/clean so they were either retro-fitted or the painter was very careful removing or masking before they got the Dulux out! The liner nut is reversed & I can't see evidence of the white on either so it may have been added later (wrongly) but that may be old-mans-eyes! Personally I'd keep it as it and catalogue it as "with unusual and now incomplete white over-paint". 'not sure what things are like over there but just because a liner date matches a helmets date doesn't mean a great deal over here....they've had 80 years to be switched and in some war-time roles whipping the liners out was part of the job. .....you can't beat a Wardens lid though can you...I've acquired 2 more just this week...it's an illness :-)