Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Anti-Gas Hood

Article about: I acquired a Canadian anti-gas good for a mk ii helmet. The hood is in good shape with a few small tears. The original manufacturer marking and date of 42’ is visible, along with the broad

Default Canadian Anti-Gas Hood

I acquired a Canadian anti-gas good for a mk ii helmet.
    The hood is in good shape with a few small tears. The original manufacturer marking and date of 42’ is visible, along with the broad arrow marking.

Does anyone know if there is a product that can help preserve the hood from cracking and tearing further? As I understand the cloth was originally coated with linseed oil, would this work or is there a more modern product?

Thanks

Canadian Anti-Gas Hood
    Canadian Anti-Gas Hood
    Canadian Anti-Gas Hood

In my experience, the most important aspects of rubber preservation are the ways in which it is stored and displayed. There is unfortunately no magic bullet to restore aged rubber. Once it starts to perish, there's nothing that can be done to reverse it. There are some products which can restore the condition of rubber in the short term, but most of them have harmful long term effects in regards to conservation. As long as you keep the hood away from extremes of heat and cold and direct sunlight, it shouldn't deteriorate further.

Regards, B.B.