Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian MK II Netted Helmet

Article about: Not an area I normally venture into but a friend had this for sale on his table at the local gun show recently. I am not really a helmet guy and most of the Canadian kit that I have is more

Default Canadian MK II Netted Helmet

Not an area I normally venture into but a friend had this for sale on his table at the local gun show recently. I am not really a helmet guy and most of the Canadian kit that I have is more recent than this but I figured it would be a good example to use for a display with my FS fighting knives. It appears to be all original to me and from the fantastic pinned threads at the top of this section I have been able to determine that it was produced by the Canadian Motor Lamp Co. with a date stamp of 1942. I believe the batch code is a larger 7 with a smaller 2. It has a liner made by Viceroy Manufacturing, is stamped MK II and has a date of 1943. The chin strap has the C /I\ stamp on the inside. I am not sure that the net is original but it appears to be undisturbed and has been on there for a long time. I am not prepared to dis-assemble this to look for other stamps in the dome or on the reverse of the liner.
    Would appreciate any opinions on any part of this.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That is a real beauty Ralph, no worries with this one, a superb example of the Canadian MKII. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    That is a real beauty Ralph, no worries with this one, a superb example of the Canadian MKII. Leon.
    Thank you Leon!
    Adding a photo of the stamp on the chin strap.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Has the outside been repainted, looks like there are brush strokes, or is it me eyes.

After reading your question, I was able to remove the net without untying it. It does have brush strokes on the outside. The inside has more of a brown hue than the outside. I have taken some more photos.
    Ralph.

First, a better photo of the maker's marks on the shell.

There does appear to be some form of primer beneath the OD green.

This photo is from the right side of the helmet just above the rim.

Any other comments?
    Ralph.

Hi Ralph, just looks like a period over paint to me to loose the "shiney" early paint surface. It all looks legit to my eye's, I have seen a few British MKII's with brushed over paints. Leon.

Nice one Ralph. The net adds a lot to it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice one Ralph. The net adds a lot to it.........!
    Thanks Steve!
    I only wanted one good representative example for display purposes. I was hoping you would see it.
    Ralph.

?

A nice looking Mk II Ralph I have a few of these re-paints in my collection it is nice to see the wide brush strokes there is period images to support that these were repainted in the field in large numbers and or it possibly could be a depot refurbished Mk II ...
    I have an example that came from a locally armoury when they cleaned house a number of years back and it is sporting a flat olive green re-paint and has a very minty 1942 dated VMC liner and was refitted with a new chinstrap so it very likely never made it back in to service as the paint on the outside of the helmet body is unscathed...
    And on the other side of the spectrum I have a few other re-paints that show extensive wear to the exterior of the helmet bodies and wear to the liners and chinstraps that is indicative of being used in the field..

Regards Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast