MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up recently and probably paid over the odds considering that it is just the shell in not particularly good condition. I believe that it is genuine however and if I am c

Default Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet

Hi all. I picked this up recently and probably paid over the odds considering that it is just the shell in not particularly good condition. I believe that it is genuine however and if I am correct about the markings then it is attributed to a rather important factory that produced more than half of the country's Spitfires.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bromwich_Assembly

Now just to find a nice liner. Any comments would be welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet   Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet  

Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet   Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet  

Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory MKII Helmet  

Hard to assign it from the initials, but I hope you are correct James. Liners can be found, Aaron has one on his site.

By a strange coincidence I have bought two shells this week, so I'll be hunting a liner for one of them as I think I have used all my spares. The other is WWI so I'll leave it as it is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi James,

The date stamp on the helmet is bang on for the short time period that the Spitfire assembly works were known as the Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory, being from 1936-1940. After mid 1940 it became part of the Vickers-Armstrong group which included Supermarine, the original designers and builders of the Spitfire.

When I owned my own steel stockholding business, one of the first machines I acquired at the start was a Morgan 6ft x 1/8" guillotine that was made in 1938. It was purported to have come from "That Castle Bromwich Spitfire outfit" by the dealer who sold it to me. I never really took much notice of this until several years later when the machine needed re-wiring to bring it up to Health & Safety regs regarding emergency cut of switches etc. Upon opening the wiring loom box, what should be in there but the bill of sale to Morris Motors Ltd of Chester Road, I seem to recall it cost £97 so many shillings and pence, so the dealers story was true!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The date stamp on the helmet is bang on for the short time period that the Spitfire assembly works were known as the Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory, being from 1936-1940. After mid 1940 it became part of the Vickers-Armstrong group which included Supermarine, the original designers and builders of the Spitfire.
    The CBAF acronym may have continued in use after 1940, certainly it was used in a trade publication dating from 1946 ('C.B.A.F. PROVIDES NEW HOME FOR FISHER & LUDLOW We understand that Fisher and Ludlow, Ltd., have leased the major portion (an area of over 1,250,000 sq. ft.) of the Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory.' https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...auDh8Q6AEIMzAE)

Regards Philip

Good find, drop a "ratty" liner in there and it will be a great rare Home Front MKII. Leon.