Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

Article about: Got this SFP ( supplementary fire parties ) marked CPH which in it's own right is quite nice with for me a new type of chin strap that I have'nt seen before on these helmets, but I think I'v

Greetings all,

Was going through some old training films posted online and noticed this same helmet being worn by some of those filmed in the below linked film. If you are short on time, skip to 01:38 for the helmet's first appearance and subsequently, there are several other scenes where the helmets are worn.

Best,

V/r Lance

https://youtu.be/tEfBNjCEfxI

ARP BUCKS, shell maker JSS 1941, size Medium, Liner FFL 1941, size 6 & 5/8".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    I have certainly been told of discoveries of stacks of these helmets, left over from the war, rotting and rusty, still bundled together with wire though the holes for ease of handling. Mind you I have yet to see a picture of this, so there is some cause for doubt. Then again, all this was done on the cheap - no chinstrap and so on - so maybe a actual box would have been more expensive and resource-hungry than a piece of wire. Who knows (well, I know who might but he's not telling).
    I can vouch for the accuracy of this. As a kid, I picked up just such a batch, sans liner & chinstrap, wired together, front and rear.
    It took me decades to finally get rid of the buggers, virtually giving them away about 5-10 years ago (still wired together, you’ll be pleased to know). I do not recall the exact number of helmets in the stack, but I would say it was less than ten (possibly more like half a dozen).
    Naturally, and now regrettably, I have no photographic evidence for this...

A simple loop of wire would be far more practical and durable than a cardboard box, when one considers the weight of a stack of these things (it would require some pretty stout, industrial-strength cardboard, at a time when paper was in short supply).

I’d say there was a reasonable chance the dealer still has them (!). I shall try to find out...

All the best,
    Bob

?

My understanding of the holes at the front and rear of the CPH was for transportation. Wack an sticker on them and Bobs your uncle.
    Guessing too that it would have been ten or twelve together.

....packed in 10s...wired front and back

Question

I wasn't really aware of these but just picked one up as part of an auction lot (along with this French Adrian helmet)...

The CPH is a bit rough & has no obvious 'user' markings:

No liner or chin strap either

But its solid enough & I've managed to make out its a Medium, made by Pressed Steel Co in 6 / 41

Please could someone give me an idea of what one of these, in this condition, is worth?
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-12-2019 at 11:29 PM.

I would say about £5 due to lack of original paint and liner, that is if any one wants it as they are not rare. Somebody may buy it and add something special to it to make it seem more valuable.

There’s 10.5 million others out there.......

Looking over one of my examples in good light and noticed this indentation ,what caused this i am am not certain but thought it might be of interest The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET
    Regards James

?

Street party leader, one black band on white helmet, which is all very nice, but it was the 12/1940 date that grabbed me.
    The next nice find was wartime papers stuck up under the sweat band to make it a bit smaller. Even a picture of a rescue helmeted man.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast