Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Combat helmets of the world-Paolo Marzetti?

Article about: Hello ,does anyone have a copy or access to this book, thanks Dave.

Default Combat helmets of the world-Paolo Marzetti?

Hello ,does anyone have a copy or access to this book, thanks Dave.

Default Re: Combat helmets of the world-Paolo Marzetti?

Yes I have the book what do you need to know?

Hello brasso, thanks for replying,are there any entries for Bolivia and Venezuela? I would like to know if the Bolivians were issued or wore the German M17 during the Chaco war, 1930s or WW2. Venezuela- any mention of helmets issued and worn (Adrian?) in the 1930s-WW2. Are there any photos of the helmets worn? thanks dave.

Hi DAve

The book is in Italian, but I have found a website that will translate!
    Bolivia wore the German model 1935 and American helmets
    Venezuala wore American style helmets.

This is all in the appendix, and there are no photos - sorry.
    Sorry nothing as specific as you're after

Cheers
    Brasso

Hi Dave,

I have talked to many people over the years including veterans of the Chaco wars from both sides. I became interested in the 1970's after taking a Latin American studies course at UCLA.

From vet accounts and my limited research, I feel it is safe to assume that neither side was issued steel helmets during this conflict. I have yet to see a period photograph of any soldier wearing a steel helmet in the Chaco war. That is not to say that it was not possible for some soldiers to have worn steel helmets at the time, but it is unlikely any were officially issued. I can find no record of purchases of steel helmets or of any orders for issue or TO&E inventories for either Paraguay or Bolivia during the period of the war from 1932 to 1935. The closest to a helmet I have seen in photographs is the use of pith helmets with no insignia. I hope this helps, but I would be very interested if somebody does find some evidence of steel helmet use by either Army during the Chaco war.

Hi Brasso, thanks for having a look at the book,does it mention when the BolivianM1935 was worn from? Any dates for the Venezuelan helmet? I have seen "Uniforms of the world " by FG Blakeslee /1928 and it doesnt mention any helmets but a sombreo/broad brimmed hat. Thanks Dave.

Hi tampalam,that mention of a pith type helmet is interesting,there is a helmet website via "links"on the excellent Finnish "pottia " helmet website which shows a Paraguayan pith helmet. I suppose any helmets must be late or post WW2. Regards Dave.