MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Desert Rat lid: Real or not?

Article about: I was beaten at the post on this one, on ebay. Desert Rat lid. (Yes I know.) I think that the helmet is ok, paint looks good, decal looks good too, see the stack marks OVER it? Then why is t

?

Default Desert Rat lid: Real or not?

I was beaten at the post on this one, on ebay. Desert Rat lid. (Yes I know.) I think that the helmet is ok, paint looks good, decal looks good too, see the stack marks OVER it?
    Then why is the paper still stuck to the liner like an unissued helmet?

Over to the wiser heads.

Kind regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desert Rat lid: Real or not?   Desert Rat lid: Real or not?  

Desert Rat lid: Real or not?   Desert Rat lid: Real or not?  

?

Default re: Desert Rat lid: Real or not?

Im not 100% sure but I think this has been fabricated to look the part, the three small holes on the brim suggest to me that an apron or neck shield was used for fire crews, the liner cross piece and foam rubber pad attached has rivets which isnt the norm for a mkII in combat use, but wait till our MKII collector comments

It's an absolutely genuine South African Army helmet, thats for sure. The holes and liner are good for an SA helmet.

As for the decal, I wouldn't pay money for it being real. To start with, it's the wrong type of 'desert rat' for the period the 7th Armd Div were in the desert. The design shown dates from the period they were transferred to Europe.

Rob

Stacking rings were a nice touch by the faker I'll give him that.

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Stacking rings were a nice touch by the faker I'll give him that.
    Ok, I'll stick to M1's then. There but for the grace of God go I. That above statement is why I am here on this forum.
    Thanks.

Kind Regards,

A
    Last edited by aj4010; 03-24-2012 at 11:32 PM.

?

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm going over old ground. The traces of paper are from storage packing, as are the traces of paint left on the liner where it was stacked. There seems to have been quite a few of these South African made British helmets which were never issued and put into storage. I picked up an identical one (without decal) in the 1980s at an air show for £14. I also agree that the painted badge is not genuine. There's a seller on ebay who managed to get hold of a batch which he drip fed onto ebay. The first ones sold for up to £400 and then dropped to about £200 as more appeared. Nice helmets, even unissued. Sadly, as original British WW2 helmets with decals etc are fetching premium prices, there are quite a few fakes coming on ebay. Some make me cringe. It's a case of buyer beware and ebay aware.

Default Re: Desert Rat lid: Real or not?

Original SA helmet and liner and fake rats insignia. I saw this on ebay and you should be glad you did not "win" it IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Desert Rat lid: Real or not?

Defiantly a South African tommy helmet due to the holes in the rear brim for the neck flap. Pity it's been made up to deceive but you should be glad you didn't win.

Jason