Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Difference between helmet and liner?

Article about: Ok, so maybe it is just a name, but I am confused on the difference between a helmet and a helmet liner. Are they the same thing? I have been assuming that a helmet liner goes inside of a he

Default Difference between helmet and liner?

Ok, so maybe it is just a name, but I am confused on the difference between a helmet and a helmet liner. Are they the same thing? I have been assuming that a helmet liner goes inside of a helmet, but I am all kinds of confused on this one. Thanks.

?

In basic terms the liner is the part that cradles the head, the shell being the steel (or composite) dome, the liner is fixed to the shell by various methods and, made from numerous materials all with the intent of providing comfort and helping it stay on the head.
    The only main exception to this is the American M1 and it's and copies, which has a separate fiber liner which instrts in to the shell and can be worn as a helmet but without balistic properties.
    If you poke around this website you will find many helmets broken down to their component parts.
    .: World War Helmets - Articles :.

Steve.

Steve.

Difference between helmet and liner?Difference between helmet and liner?

the liner holds the helmet on your head without it you would just have a metal pot on your head bouncing and rolling around. in the case of a "doughboy" helmet it would be the tar material, in a german helmet would be the inner leather and in the case of 2 piece helmets likw the m-1 the liner is its own hard fiber shell that slides into the steel pot. my pics are of m1 helmets with and without their liners