Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dutch M34 WW2 Helmet

Article about: Hello WRF Members, I recently acquired a Dutch M34 helmet. It was for sale relatively cheap because of its poor condition. It's still all there except for the neck strap that goes thru the l

Dos
    ?

Default Dutch M34 WW2 Helmet

Hello WRF Members,

I recently acquired a Dutch M34 helmet. It was for sale relatively cheap because of its poor condition. It's still all there except for the neck strap that goes thru the leather. I don't know if the shoe lace is original... I think the storage conditions for this one weren't great over the years. And it seems some other helmet was stored on top of it. It also has remnants of black paint on it and somebody has tried to get it off in the past. But now the fun part comes, it seems to be signed! In comparison to the m27 these were used alot less by the Dutch in the invasion of the Netherlands by the Germans. This makes it alot more likely that is was issued to a dutch soldier. To bad i can't really make a name out of it, but there sure is something written there. APREL >> ??

Dutch M34 WW2 HelmetDutch M34 WW2 Helmet

I bought this helmet to display with my M1917 Stormdolk. I thought it would look nice to all my other stuff in my display cabinet.

Just need a helmet stand now! (If anyone knows some good and nice looking ones, please share)

Any opinions or information is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dos

?

Very nice, I've always liked those Dutch helmets.

Dos
    ?

Thanks Al, Yes i know what you mean. The shape of the helmet and use of such kind of emblem is almost unique. Ive got the M53 Troepenhelm that was the successor of this helmet and the bayonet that goes with it. Should display well next to eachother.

Very nice lid. I do not have one for my WWII collection. Thank you posting.
    John

Dos
    ?

Thanks John, Do keep in mind that the M27 version (the predecessor) looks a little bit diffrent. But has alot more chance that it was issued to a soldier during the invasion of the Netherlands. The M34 was made from 1939 till 1940 as far as i know. (Correct me if im wrong)

Below you can see the main differences: Left the M27 and on the right the M34. There are a lot more versions that look alike (KNIL), but these are the main things to keep in mind.

Dutch M34 WW2 Helmet

Cheers,

-Dos

Hello Dos,

Today serious Dutch collectors use a different nomenclature for this type of helmet.

The M27 is still known under this name. The M34 has been redefined.

They are now split up in the M27 GE, M33, M38.

The M27 GE is a M27 that has a changed shape and looks more like a M33, which is an other name for the M34. The M38 is a helmet that was produced for the Romanian order and was also produced for the Dutch.

The M38 has a slightly higher arch, but that can only be noticed when placed next to each other. The way of placing the rivets is also different. The Romanians wanted the liner placed at a different more slanted manner.

To understand the Dutch helmet and its variants I would suggest the book De Nederlandse stalen helm 1916 1992.

I would say your helmet is a M38. Have a look at the rivets in the rear. If there is a spare hole in the leather band next to the rivet, you will have a M38. If the hole is to the rear of the rivet, that is! The reason for this extra hole is the fact that the M33 liners would otherwise not fit in the M38 helmet.

Go and figure it out!

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by Dos View Post
    Thanks Al, Yes i know what you mean. The shape of the helmet and use of such kind of emblem is almost unique. Ive got the M53 Troepenhelm that was the successor of this helmet and the bayonet that goes with it. Should display well next to eachother.
    The British Mk.II was used between them, 1940-1953 in basically 3 versions: the WW2 British one, a British shell with a Dutch-made liner, and the VerBliFa-made one with the same chinstraps as used on the M53 helmet.

You might need another shelf for this display

After the war The Netherlands used the old pre war helmets (Military Police till end forties), the MKII's in all its variants, the MkIII, the RAC, the DR, the HSAT, the M1 and it's derivatives, the German post war springerhelm 1ALL.

The CD used everything it could scrounge from British and Dutch parentage. Thrown in are some from Belgian and French stock, even a few Czech M32's.

A collector's paradise!

Cheers,
    Emile

Dos
    ?

@Emile,

I was hoping someone like you with more information would respond. Your extensive knowledge on these helmets is much appreciated and thank you for correcting me and sharing this with us.

I think you are correct on the fact that this is most likely a M38. I have made a photo that shows the extra spare holes next to the rivets that you mention. I did not raise the leather on the middle rivet, But i think this is sufficient to determine the matter at hand.

Dutch M34 WW2 Helmet

@Earlymb,

Ohhh man... This collecting thing never ends It should have just stayed with the knives and skulls....... Do you maybe know which knife or bayonet goes with the Mk-II?

Thanks for pointing this out!

Best regards,

Dos

Dos
    ?

I happened to come across these standards and they are more then fine to display my helmets. Really a coincidence to find these and have the display ready so soon!

Thought i should share

Dutch M34 WW2 Helmet

-Dos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast