Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

European M1 Clone Help ???

Article about: Hello everyone, ı bought this helmet. This is clone m1 but how can i find manufacture country? I found this link and both is very same. Could this be Norwegian? Its not has any serial or st

Question European M1 Clone Help ???

Hello everyone, ı bought this helmet. This is clone m1 but how can i find manufacture country? I found this link and both is very same. Could this be Norwegian? Its not has any serial or stamp

M1 Helmet - Euro Clone - Used Original – J. Murray Inc. 1944
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture European M1 Clone Help ???   European M1 Clone Help ???  

European M1 Clone Help ???   European M1 Clone Help ???  

European M1 Clone Help ???   European M1 Clone Help ???  

Have you looked closely on the inside rim of the helmet for any possible numbers or letters?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

It will be difficult to tell where it was made if there are no markings. There are small variations in the different European versions of the M1 but really you'd have to either have quite precise measurments or have it in hand to compare against others to tell. One thing worth bearing in mind though, is that many of them were made in either Germany or Austria and exported. For example, Norway did not make either shells or liners, both imported.

I may have missed an obvious clue; on the low centre side of the helmet there is a lot of unusual abrasion and I think - this is a definate maybe - I can see the faint remnants of a Belgian flag (black-yellow-red vertical tricolour). If this is right than it is very likely Belgian-made by local Belgian industry. Normally no markings in the shell, only in liners. The only thing that makes me think twice is that Belgian shells are usually smooth finish, not rough.

Some belgium helmets on the internet are darker in color and some have no sandy paint smoother. Have you found same color and texture on internet?

Hi,

the helmet is definitely not made in West-Germany

Quote by Turhan98 View Post
    Some belgium helmets on the internet are darker in color and some have no sandy paint smoother. Have you found same color and texture on internet?
    No. I would not have thought this was Belgian if I had simply seen the colour and texture. It may not be. I only think I have seen traces of a decal or painted flag. Hard to be certain looking at those pictures.

This is the store where I bought the helmet. I found this. Writen "VDN 78" inside. My helmet could be VDN helmet ?

KORE SAVAŞI TURK ASKERİ MİĞFER - Bayrak Muzayede

VDN is Vereinigte Deutsche Nickel-Werke AG, a German manufacturer which produced a lot of helmets which were exported across Europe and elsewhere. VDN helmets will have small characteristics which identify them, but it would be hard to do - even for an expert - without the helmet in hand. And importanly, it would not be a good idea to assume that your helmet - which has NO markings - is the same as another one WITH markings being sold by the same store. I don't think we are any closer to an answer.

Note that Sleepwalker - who is a serious collector - has already given the opinion that the helmet is not German-made, therefore not VDN. I wish he had told us WHY he is so certain about this!

Hi,

It is very helpful to look at the bails to distinguish between the individual manufacturers. They're almost like fingerprints.
    If you compare the VDN helmet from the dealer offer with the helmet from Post # 1, you will see that the bails are not identical.

The manufacturer cannot be VDN here.

The other German manufacturers such as Quist and Linnemann & Schnetzer do not have these bails either.

The West German manufacturers have based themselves on the US model.

Regards