Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?

Article about: I recently saw this up and it really has caught my eye properly - simple question, is it original? (paint and all) I would really appreciate someones thoughts, cheers!

?

Default Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?

I recently saw this up and it really has caught my eye properly - simple question, is it original? (paint and all) I would really appreciate someones thoughts, cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?   Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?  

Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?   Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?  

Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?   Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?  

Is this a genuine South African 1942 Brodie?  

?

Yep, looks good to me.

?

very cool thanks!, what's the value of these lids around usually? are they easy/hard to find?

Lots of *very* useful knowledge about the SA helmets here - Mk2 South African Union Defence Force. - excellent little article.

These are uncommon rather than rare. You will find them on Ebay (UK at least) fairly regularly but it would be wise to be alert for 'interesting modifications' or 'improvements', if you see what I mean. Price tends to vary between £50 and £100 depending on condition and bidding wars.

One interesting aspect of the SA shells is that many were refurbished by Greece in the years following WW2, given a different (Greek-made) liner and straps, usually painted a dark green. Sometimes a version of the original Jager-Rand liner was also used. See here for some details - .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark II :. . Ex-British Mk2 shells were also used in this way.