Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A good way to start a collection?

Article about: Hi there, I'm new to the Forum - i came across War Relics when I was trying to research some helmets that I picked up a a recent auction. I think they came from a antique shop liquidation, b

Default A good way to start a collection?

Hi there,

I'm new to the Forum - i came across War Relics when I was trying to research some helmets that I picked up a a recent auction. I think they came from a antique shop liquidation, but I don't know anything more about them other than what was included in the lot description. The first says it was a WWII para helmet that was reconfigured for use in Israel. Not sure if that is supposed to indicate British Army in Palestine immediately after the war, or that it was repurposed for use by Israeli army.

I've tried to post some pictures so i hope that they work:
    A good way to start a collection?A good way to start a collection?
    A good way to start a collection?A good way to start a collection?
    A good way to start a collection?

From research i *think* this may be a MkII HSAT, or variation on it. Would welcome a more expert view. I didn't go to the auction expecting to buy any helmets, so come to this as a complete amateur.

HI there Journeyman,
    Welcome to the forum, you will find much help during your time here - it is really one of ( if not the ) best on the net!!

I am not an allied helmet man but here is some general post feedback....
    - your photos are fine - clear and came through suitable for comment ( we like photos! )
    - we are an international forum so bear in mind time delays before people get to see what you posted. Don't think you are being ignored if a day goes by without a comment.
    - many people may look but not post a response - like me they may be interested enough to open the thread but cannot offer advice ... and so just look and leave.

Anyway, hope you get a reply soon!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Welcome, this is has been refitted by the Israelis. The shell will be original, the liner and strap are Israeli copies of the British HSAT. The oval pad held with an aluminium rivet is also an Israeli addition.

The paint is not usual for the IDF, so it may be an attempt at making it look more HSAT. It looks like it's in good condition.

Steve.

Good start Journeyman I must type!

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Welcome, this is has been refitted by the Israelis. The shell will be original, the liner and strap are Israeli copies of the British HSAT. The oval pad held with an aluminium rivet is also an Israeli addition.

The paint is not usual for the IDF, so it may be an attempt at making it look more HSAT. It looks like it's in good condition.

Steve.
    Thanks for the really quick reply, and really helpful insight. It sounds like the description was reasonably close to the mark!

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but when talking about the original shell would that be described as an HSAT, or is it the liner and strap that makes it an HSAT, or the combination of the two?

What's your other two helmets?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    What's your other two helmets?
    According to lot descriptions French WWI Adrian M15 and WWII/Vietnam era 82nd Airborne MP. The first looks pretty similar to examples that i have seen while researching online, but I have a few questions about the second. I'll try to take some photos tonight and post. Would this be the best forum for both, or would I be better in the WWI Allies forum for the M15?

?

Quote by Journeyman11 View Post
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but when talking about the original shell would that be described as an HSAT, or is it the liner and strap that makes it an HSAT, or the combination of the two?
    That's a good question, HSAT (Helmet,Steel,Airborne,Troops) is the British official designation for this model of helmet and any deviation from that is normally referenced back to that original standard by collectors. In this case the shell would be from a British produced HSAT, at some point in it's life it was refitted with an Israeli copy of of the British HSAT liner and strap, from that point onwards for most it ceases to be a HSAT and becomes an Israeli, because there is no official designation for this helmet it gets labeled as an Israeli HSAT or something similar- -collector jargon and subjectivity at this point.

British liners will have a makers stamp and date near one of the side chinstrap fittings, Israeli ones are unmarked, I can't see it in your photos because it is covered by the strap, but the liner join will open not stitched.

I hope that answers the question, if not let me know.
    Steve.

?

I forgot to mention, if you want to see more of these, this is the thread IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

If you don't want to wade through the whole thing, post #28, 43, 44, 52, 60, 86, 119, are all the Israeli takes on the HSAT style.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast