Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet with RA badge

Article about: Attached are photos of a helmet with what I think is a Royal Artillery badge. Can anyone tell me about the badge and what the laurels are, beneath? Any other comments would be appreciated.

Default Helmet with RA badge

Attached are photos of a helmet with what I think is a Royal Artillery badge. Can anyone tell me about the badge and what the laurels are, beneath?
    Stamp is:
    VERO
    I
    WHich I take to be the size, maker, ? , date
    Any other comments would be appreciated.
    Helmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badge

How is the badge attached to the shell please?..it there anything inside the shell behind it?

The dates/info you’ve quoted is from the liner and whilst it looks like they’ve been together for a while liners are interchangeable and may not have originally been in this shell. Shell maker marks are usually on the inner brim near the strap lugs but they may be lost under paint.

There is nothing behind the badges to show they may be mechanically fixed.

I've searched for the helmet manufacturer but can't see anything. Maybe if I removed the liner I could inspect the inside better?
    Helmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet with RA badge  

Thank you. Removing the liner is usually quite simple (just one screw nut) but 1) some folk prefer not to do that and 2) it may be stiff and you may end up damaging the screw head with your screwdriver. That said, all that will help you with is the area behind the badges...and you’ve already established the badges are stuck on to the outside with nothing piercing the shell. Shell makers marks aren’t always restricted to the sides.....refurb’d Mk1 helmets could have stamps elsewhere on the brim and those made by Fisher & Ludlow for instance are usually stamped at the rear. I’m confident a member with more military interests will come along with their views.......

The strap looks interesting, is it leather on one side ?

Whatever you do, do not remove any paint looking for dates !

Oops..missed that section...good spot.....

One side of the strap is leather.
    I've had a good look and can't see a maker's stamp on the helmet. As a last resort I will remove the liner but only if the nut will easily loosen.
    Edited to add: the screw holding the liner has been hammered over so it will not be possible to removed the nut without some possible damage (see photo)

Helmet with RA badgeHelmet with RA badge

That clearly isn’t a standard Mk1 strap! Sorry for any confusion.....there was a Commercial strap which was half webbing/cotton and half leather but I’m pretty sure this isnt that one.

I'll try on the badges forum to see if there might be further information about the laurels?

The 'Ubique' bomb badge was also used by the Royal Engineers, although the flames on the RE badge are a bit different. I do not recognise the wreath below,

Cheers,
    Steve