Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help dating my Mk4

Article about: Hello, I picked up this unmarked British Mk4 yesterday. I know they produced these from 1944-1946 and then again in the 1950s. I was wondering if you could help determine if this is from 44-

?

Default Help dating my Mk4

Hello, I picked up this unmarked British Mk4 yesterday. I know they produced these from 1944-1946 and then again in the 1950s. I was wondering if you could help determine if this is from 44-46 or the 50s. Help dating my Mk4 Help dating my Mk4 Help dating my Mk4

Thanks,
    Ethan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help dating my Mk4  

Are there any markings visible around the inner rim of the shell? They would be the easiest method for dating one of these exactly.

B.B.

?

No, I couldn't find any

May be rather difficult to date it, then. The only other date marking would have been in the liner, which is obviously not present.
    I'm unsure if there's a specific manufacturing method that would identify this one as being of a certain time frame, but even if there is, there will be no way to guess at an exact year.

B.B.

?

Without a date, no chance, both BMB and RO&Co made these Mk4's from early 1945-January46.
    At least it looks like the paint inside is textured dark brown, which the 1945 ones were, got a picture of the rim join?

Tinlid's right (as usual!).

have a second look for a date......usually at the back (the slopey end), mid-point between the strap retainers....about 2-3 inches up the inside...you should be able to find something

?

Composite, I still couldn't find a date, but here are some up close pictures. Help dating my Mk4 Help dating my Mk4 Help dating my Mk4

?

Looks to be an BMB made helmet, date will be vertical to the rim at the rear inside. Look on the outside also and you should see a raised bit where it was stamped from the inside.

?

We're all of these helmets dated, because I still cannot find a date. Also to touch on the topic of the paint, to me it looks oxidized not textured and black not brown, but that's just my opinion.
    Thanks,
    Ethan

?

Sometimes date/maker names are not visible, and if black, then it's either been refurbished or is a later date Mk4, early 50's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast