Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me identify this lid

Article about: Hello there, Some backstory. I live in the Netherlands, and found this helmet in a thrift store. The lady working there said it came from an estate, and the deceased's possessions were all d

Default Help me identify this lid

Hello there,

Some backstory.

I live in the Netherlands, and found this helmet in a thrift store. The lady working there said it came from an estate, and the deceased's possessions were all donated to the shop. she knew nothing else about it.

the link below the picture leads to more images.

what I've found:

• it looks like a MkII
    • i can't find any stamps on the shell.
    • the chinstrap lugs are stamped III 1942.
    • the strap seems to be a MkIII.
    • the paint is thick and application left drips and streaks. if there is a stamp, then the paint may be obscuring it.
    • the brim displays lines in the metal that can be seen through the paint (see pictures). not sure what that means.
    • the rim appears to be a different type of metal than the shell itself.
    • the liner doesn't have any stamps, only white painted markings. i imagine the "56" denotes the size, and the other marking which is on the outside of the liner, i cannot read.

Having found it in the Netherlands, one goes to think if this is even from WWII, and not a post war production. I know that the NL armed forces used this type of helmet for a bit. it doesn't appear to be Belgian, as there is no dimple where the liner retention screw is, nor the decal on the side, and the marking on the liner. But who knows, really. thats why i need you guys.

I'd love to know what this helmet is, exactly. I'd love it if it was WWII, as those are so hard to find around here, and this was a very serendipitous find.

Let me know your thoughts gents

More pictures here

Last edited by generalglenn; 05-26-2020 at 10:51 AM.

?

Hi,
    Having 56 as the size makes it a European used helmet post war, so most likely liner and paint on the helmet are also post war.
    The helmet is British though.

Cheers tinlid,

Would that mean that there would be a manufacturers stamp somewhere, but it is just obscured by the paint?

Yes there could well be one, see my crap pic on a common position for a maker stamp.
    Also it would help if you could upload all of your google pictures here! as I'm done helping out others that have no manners (well I have none so what am I typing~)

It seems to have a WW2 paintjob. Post war Dutch reissued MkII's mostly have a grey or the specific CD colour.

The liner may have been replaced. As said earlier by Tinlid, the metric size indicates post war European production. Dutch I would say.

Show us a photo of the liner, please.

Cheers,
    Emile

Wasn't entirely aware that posting a link rather than attaching the pictures here was bad manners, but I'm happy to oblige. First post updates, thanks for the picture, I'll see if I can find a hint of a stamp.

Cheers,
    Glenn

Hi Emile,
    I've put the pictures in the first post.
    Thanks for the trouble.

Cheers,
    Glenn

Hello Glenn,

I would say a Dutch post war liner in a WW2 British MkII with original paint job.

Cheers,
    Emile

Hi Emile,

Thanks for the info. It'll get a nice place on the shelf.

And thanks to everyone else as well that I may have missed. Your efforts are appreciated

cheers,
    Glenn

Quote by generalglenn View Post
    Wasn't entirely aware that posting a link rather than attaching the pictures here was bad manners, but I'm happy to oblige.
    It is not that posting a link is bad manners, that is more about tone, you know please and thank you etc which can be somewhat subjective when not in a face to face situation.

No, the issue with links is that they are fine when posted but when some poor frustrated soul doing research at a later date tries to access them and they have ceased to be valid. Then the part of the thread to which they relate and often the entire thread becomes a total waste of space!

I am sure you understand how this has a cumulative effect on the annoyance it causes. The first time it is disappointing, the next it is irritating, then it becomes aggravating and +++++, you see?

Regards

Mark

PS Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, posting links is against forum policy. Exceptions would likely be links to funny stuff on Youtube or other such ephemera that will not have consequences for future research of forum subject matter.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-28-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast