Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hessian helmet covers

Article about: Recently a number of New Zealand made hessian helmet covers have come on to the market. Most are in mint unissued condition, stored since the war. They are dated 1942 and made by B.C.N.B.Ltd

SMP
    ?

Waiouru
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers  

Manifacturer Marks version that i can see.

Hessian helmet covers

Hessian helmet covers

?

Due to not much information about these covers, I'll call this British one the second pattern.
    As it has no loops for attaching foliage, either for ease of manufacture, or the attaching of foliage was not often used.

It has a half open stitched tunnel for the pull string, so possibly unit made.
    As far as I can make out, these were not used with the BEF, only the looped version were.
    There are pictures of these being used in the Western Desert.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

Hessian helmet covers  

SMP
    ?

Like this one on e-bay last year:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

Hessian helmet covers  

SMP
    ?

Back to the NZ covers. Still in use post-war:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers  

?

Yes, that's the same.

SMP
    ?

Just for fun, here is probably the very first type of Hessian cover ever used on a Brodie. This nearly mint condition 1915 War-Office Pattern Brodie was found at a car boot sale with a field made Hessian cover still in place. Cost was £5!

Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

I think some people are getting duped big time. 128 covers sold we are told, found in a NZ museum and sold off we are told? Or are they simply replicas or sourced elsewhere?
    One post showed the "B.C.N.B Ltd 1942" with seven different ink stamp fonts. There is no "New Zealand "broadarrow" Defence" stamp seen on all NZ contract equiptment.
    The "11 arrow 12" stamp seen in one picture looks like an Indian army issue stamp, and perhaps that is the origin. This find in New Zealand seems very unlikely to me.

A photo of NZ 3rd Division troops at Tangalan plantation at Nissan Island in 1944, green dyed hessian covers.

Hessian helmet covers

?

The covers seem to be the same as the ones that have been in New Zealand collections for years.
    Do you have a real one to show the differences.

SMP
    ?

It to good to be sceptical in this field, but I am not sure it's warranted on this occasion. The Indian theory is interesting, though.

Parts of this old thread are worth a read :
    Show us your helmet covers! - Page 2 - Militarianz

- - ------- - -

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast