Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hessian helmet covers

Article about: Recently a number of New Zealand made hessian helmet covers have come on to the market. Most are in mint unissued condition, stored since the war. They are dated 1942 and made by B.C.N.B.Ltd

I picked both of these up about 7 years ago from an auction house in Canada for about 10USD.
    Hessian helmet coversHessian helmet covers
    Hessian helmet coversHessian helmet coversHessian helmet coversHessian helmet coversHessian helmet covers

?

First one is New Zealand used, second is British mosquito cover, that has had the netting cut off.
    Bargain prices you paid.

What shows it as used? Whats a decent price for these? These arent really my collecting area and I could use some money to get power to my shop I built.

?

Meaning, they are Indian made, but supplied to New Zealand.
    We as yet do not know if these were only used by NZ, or the Indian's used them too.

Gotcha

Quote by Texengland View Post
    What shows it as used? Whats a decent price for these? These arent really my collecting area and I could use some money to get power to my shop I built.
    We are more than happy to help with authentication on your items but, we are not a free evaluation service here.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It was just a misunderstanding of the application of used, Understand now, India made utilized by NZ.

"We as yet do not know if these were only used by NZ, or the Indian's used them too. "

A very good question!

Hessian helmet covers

A retro coloured WW2 photo. Actually the 2nd NZ Division and the Indian Division supported each other in a number of battles in both both NorthAfrica and Italy. Shared equipment? perhaps.

But back to the Pacific, a nice painting of 3rd NZ Division on Mono Island in 1943, with hessian covers, and camouflage uniforms by war artist with the Division.

Hessian helmet covers

Actually the BCNB 1942 cover shown above (post #51) has much narrower foliage loops than those seen in any photos of NZ Army used covers in WW2. And the material is less coarse than NZ covers.

SMP
    ?

I believe the symbol between the maker stamp and date is a Hindi letter "j"

It seems like in the previous postings there are numbers between the make and date which might indicate runs of production. Not sure if it would be a Hindi letter or light stamping of a number following the pattern of the previous examples.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast