Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hessian helmet covers

Article about: Recently a number of New Zealand made hessian helmet covers have come on to the market. Most are in mint unissued condition, stored since the war. They are dated 1942 and made by B.C.N.B.Ltd

?

Default Hessian helmet covers

Recently a number of New Zealand made hessian helmet covers have come on to the market.
    Most are in mint unissued condition, stored since the war.
    They are dated 1942 and made by B.C.N.B.Ltd (unknown maker)

By this date 1942, the British had gone over to producing nets, as it was thought easier to clean after a gas attack, and cheaper too I expect.
    They look to be a copy of the British earlier hessian cover with loops, the British did produce another hessian cover but without loops, often seen in the Desert war.

These two NZ covers slightly differ in that the green dyed one, was for use in the Pacific war, while the other for the Desert, Italy war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

SMP
    ?

You know what I think of these ! Congratulations on snagging them when you did. I doubt any more will ever surface - except ebay fakes !

Ronald posted on fb that he grabbed one of these.

I saw a pair on one dealers site, a lot of money
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The dealer is giving the impression that they are British and used by the BEF.
    Whereas these are dated 1942 and NZ made, and as such not worth as much as the very rare British type.

?

These first saw the light of day around 10 years ago when a NZ Museum sold off the contents of a small bundle, by my estimate containing around 20 of these. They quickly vanished into collections. I believe they originated from Trentham or Waiouru Military Camp stores. At that time i grabbed two undyed dessert ones for around 150 NZD each. These were worn by Kiwi troops in North Africa and the Pacific. The green dyed version was used by NZ forces into the early 1950s as well. Until these were discovered maybe 2 or 3 Kiwi ones were known to exist, so despite the discovery of 20 or so more they are still rare.

Rob

SMP
    ?

One dealer has just sold 128 of them; 80 plain, 25 green, 10 tan, and 13 camo.

?

Oh wow I believe they were sold off by Waiouru Museum, which is near the Military Camp. It looks like they've discovered/released the remainder of their surplus. Out of curiosity what were these going for each?

SMP
    ?

Quote by robnz View Post
    Oh wow I believe they were sold off by Waiouru Museum, which is near the Military Camp. It looks like they've discovered/released the remainder of their surplus. Out of curiosity what were these going for each?
    One NZ dealer ( military collectables) was asking £50 each at the beginning, which was way too cheap. He is the one who sold 128 of them. I don't know if anyone has sold any cheaper than that. All 128 sold very quickly, lots of them were bought by other dealers, although we know of one collector who bought 8, or 9 of them! One UK dealer has since re-sold some at £390 each - he sold them immediately. A few have re-sold on Australian ebay for approx. £147 each. Basically, it is open season on them. If you simply must have one you will have to pay whatever the seller wants- at least until more are found.

Steve......you need to get out more.......

I might have gone £50 on one....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast