Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HSRAC Mk1

Article about: Morning everyone, here is the last addition to my collection, it is a Steel Helmet RAC Mk1, in the version with the steel edge cover, and shell painted in khaki smooth colour, inside and out

Default HSRAC Mk1

Morning everyone,
    here is the last addition to my collection, it is a Steel Helmet RAC Mk1, in the version with the steel edge cover, and shell painted in khaki smooth colour, inside and outside.
    The liner is intact but the rubber cross is now crystallized and very fragile.
    The liner maker's mark no longer visible but only the size, but I have removed it and in the back it is marked:
    CCL
    The chinstrap is a Mk3 pattern.
    On one side it is flashed, at first it was painted a red square and then covered by a green square, I'm not a flash expert, but surely some of you will be able to help me in identifying.
    It seemed interesting to me to share.

Thanks for looking!
    Roberto

HSRAC Mk1HSRAC Mk1HSRAC Mk1HSRAC Mk1HSRAC Mk1HSRAC Mk1

Very nice addition. I wonder if there is something under the ref as well. Some these were used post war by para units and that might be where the answer to the flashes is to be found
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Very nice addition. I wonder if there is something under the ref as well. Some these were used post war by para units and that might be where the answer to the flashes is to be found
    Thanks Jerry,
    I follow your suggestion and I also look for in the Para units area!

?

An red square = senior armoured or Infantry Brigade, green square = junior armoured or 2nd inf Brig.
    But whether in this instance, I can't be 100% sure.
    Good catch Roberto.

That's a nice find!...

Quote by tinlid View Post
    An red square = senior armoured or Infantry Brigade, green square = junior armoured or 2nd inf Brig.
    But whether in this instance, I can't be 100% sure.
    Good catch Roberto.
    Thanks Aaron,
    this is already a good news!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    That's a nice find!...
    Thanks Paul,
    in fact I'm glad to have found an example like this, it's been a while since I was looking for it.

Red square, 1st Para battalion, Green 3rd, Blue 2nd.

Probably same system applied to all arms of service in terms of Bn's and colours. I always thought infantry was rectangles rather than squares?
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Red square, 1st Para battalion, Green 3rd, Blue 2nd.

Probably same system applied to all arms of service in terms of Bn's and colours. I always thought infantry was rectangles rather than squares?
    Great information Jerry and interesting to know about the use of Paratroopers, I did not know they had used this type of helmet too, because I thought they were dangerous for jumps use.
    Another similar case that comes to my mind, largely documented, is the Italian Paratroopers who joined the Allies in 1945, who were equipped with British material, they used a mix of HSAT and HSDR helmets during Operation "Herring" in the Northern Italy.

Regards
    Roberto

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Great information Jerry and interesting to know about the use of Paratroopers, I did not know they had used this type of helmet too, because I thought they were dangerous for jumps use.
    Another similar case that comes to my mind, largely documented, is the Italian Paratroopers who joined the Allies in 1945, who were equipped with British material, they used a mix of HSAT and HSDR helmets during Operation "Herring" in the Northern Italy.

Regards
    Roberto
    Rob,

I doubt they used them for jumps, but rather as a ground combat helmet. I can't remember where I saw this.

Here is my HSRACMKI with post war paint. I added a net in one pic just for display.
    The liner is very fragile and the date is not quite clear, 194?. I have seen this on a few liners and I know of at least one person who thinks this is done by fakers, but I am inclined to think it is a stamping error on late war liners, because I only ever see it on late war helmets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HSRAC Mk1   HSRAC Mk1  

HSRAC Mk1   HSRAC Mk1  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast