Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Identification Mk2 N°2C

Article about: Morning everyone, I ask your help to identify this helmet and receive some information about its manufacturer, that is unknown to me. I've been watching it for some time, and then I decided

Default Identification Mk2 N°2C

Morning everyone,
    I ask your help to identify this helmet and receive some information about its manufacturer, that is unknown to me.
    I've been watching it for some time, and then I decided to take it because I was curious about his mark on the shell, and wanted to study it better.
    It looks like a common Mk2 No. 2C, but it is very well constructed, because the surface looks perfectly smooth, unlike the JSS examples where the pressure signs are visible; the three holes are on both sides, as in the BMB examples.
    The shell is magnetic while the chinstrap springs is not; it is marked under the flap, to one side with the "001 1 1940", to other side with the name "ELCOCK" which I think is the manufacturer.
    Unlike the JSS and BMB examples I have in the collection, it uses a Mk1 Army liner with acceptance stamp and marked "VERO 1938", size 6-3/4.
    The frontal logo, unknown to me, makes me think it belonged to a British factory civilian worker.
    I also take the opportunity to ask you a question about the correct classification:
    - Is a helmet used by civilian workers to be considered a "Home Front", or is this term reserved only to examples used by governmental organizations?
    I thank you in advance.

Regards
    Roberto

Identification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2CIdentification Mk2 N°2C

ELCOCK is the owners name, hand stamped into it. All helmets used at home are classed as home front, whether private use or official services

As to the makers, not sure with just the batch code, but 1940 is clear so one of the WWII makers. As you say ST&S will be a factory or shop or similar. A very nice looking example.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Producers of the No.2's were, BMB,F&L,EC&Co and JSS. My guess is BMB, they were good at covering their stamp with the chin strap lug.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    ELCOCK is the owners name, hand stamped into it. All helmets used at home are classed as home front, whether private use or official services

As to the makers, not sure with just the batch code, but 1940 is clear so one of the WWII makers. As you say ST&S will be a factory or shop or similar. A very nice looking example.
    Thanks a lot Jerry, I did not know this!
    what you say to me also solves another question: in fact I noticed that the name was imprinted in the metal after the painting of the shell, I understood this for the traces of rust and the fact that on the opposite side of the flap, in correspondance of written "ELCOCK", the paint is coming off.

Regards
    Roberto

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Producers of the No.2's were, BMB,F&L,EC&Co and JSS. My guess is BMB, they were good at covering their stamp with the chin strap lug.
    Thanks Aaron!
    a very useful information, I have only examples JSS and BMB, I did not know that the N°2C also were made by F&L and EC&Co.

Regards
    Roberto