Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Irish Civil Defence Warden's Helmet

Article about: Probably one of the rarer Civil Defence Items I have in the collection, A warden's helmet for the Irish Civil Defence, apparently the story goes that Churchill was very unhappy with the use

Default Irish Civil Defence Warden's Helmet

Probably one of the rarer Civil Defence Items I have in the collection, A warden's helmet for the Irish Civil Defence, apparently the story goes that Churchill was very unhappy with the use of Vickers helmets in Ireland by the CD at the outbreak of war (because they look like German Stahlhelms) so he ordered that Brodies be sent over from Army Stocks, note the green color of the Brodie instead of the more usual Black you find with other Civil defence helmets from other places, it would seem the Irish decided to simply paint the CD markings directly onto the lids without first painting them black. this one is marked size 7 and 1/4 Vero I 1939, it's a little dirty and the liner pads are beginning to crumble but othewise solid condition apart from the loss of some paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Irish Civil Defence Warden's Helmet   Irish Civil Defence Warden's Helmet  

That’s an interesting story (re Churchill) - do you know it’s source please?

Quote by Composite View Post
    That’s an interesting story (re Churchill) - do you know it’s source please?
    I don't know the source but suspect it is somewhat apocryphal in that he never expressed it quite like "I'm not happy" etc as even in the circumstances he did not have any formal authority in that regard because Eire was and is an independent neutral state.

More likely I expect that a political approach was made along the lines of "Those helmets do make them look like Germans and there might be unfortunate misunderstandings at the border with Northern Ireland. However, we can help with a solution to that with these highly fashionable items!"

Just a thought.

Regards

Mark
    PS It could just be that the Irish need helmets and we sent them some or a combination of the two scenarios.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-09-2022 at 12:12 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The green Warden, red AFS and Blue Rescue are usually sold as post war......I dunno....

I’ve seen green Warden lids with a white bar under the “W”...any ideas?

Quote by Composite View Post
    The green Warden, red AFS and Blue Rescue are usually sold as post war......I dunno....

I’ve seen green Warden lids with a white bar under the “W”...any ideas?
    Post-war has always been my understanding and my post was postulation on the Churchill anecdote. Didn't the Irish Defence Force adopt MkII type helmets after WWII anyway? Or am think of something totally different?

Regards

MMark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."